Wandering Mushroom

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I dont really know if this is a really stupid question, or if it has so legitimacy. But regardless, my mushroom (singular) is showing up all over my tank. I keep burying it's shell that it's attached to under the gravel, but i want to know if it's moving due to too much current. Or if mushrooms corals have some capacity to move themselves around in order to find a better spot?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
they do. They detach their "foot" and search for a better spot with not much current. Actually i have one of my giant mushroom that detached from his rock, due to his big brother's size..he couldn't get enough light.
If you have 2 much current and he's flying everywhere and you can't ajust the flow or don't wanna change the waterflow, you could put it in a tupperware attached to the tank near the waterline. Inside the tupperware ( pierced somewhere to renew water ) you can put some coral rubble or flat rocks and put the mush on top. If he's happy he's gonna glue himself on one piece.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it sounds like his mushroom is still attached to its shell so im betting it is current pushing it around. i would take some super glue gel and stick that shell down to a piece of lr or add a long flat piece of shell to what its already on and bury that. best bet is LR b/c if it is in the substrate and it divides then your new shroom will just float away

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
now that we're on the topic of mushrooms, is there any way to disattach a mushroom from a rock (a very very large one)? the only way i can think of is with a chisel and a hammer, which would be a little too inconvenient

any ideas/suggestions?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
okay, i cut the stalk (kinda close to the mushroom's "head") and it immediately started spewing zooanxethellae (is that how you spell it?)--the mushroom shriveled from the size of a half dollar to the size of a dime...i hope i didn't screw this up big time