Watching my friend's betta - problems.

Aug 4, 2012
When my best friend went back to college this fall she didn't have enough room for her betta, Kiedis. He often floats to the top of the tank (normally on the same side) but is normally fine a couple of days later. His fins look like he may have fin rot. On one hand I want to help him so he doesn't die while I'm watching him, on the other I'm worried the stuff I DO to help him may kill him. She isn't giving him betta food. I have no idea if it makes a difference, I just saw betta food while I was at Petsmart. She gives him New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
How long has she had this betta and what size container is he in? Also what is the water temperature? There are certain things we have to know in order to help. Are you using chlorinated water from your sink or are you on a private well? The most important thing you can do until we know those things is do a 50% water change every couple of days and keep the temp the same - no sudden changes. I don't think the food is the main problem here. They are generally protein eaters so food specifically for bettas has a higher protein content. If you can net any mosquito larva I'll bet he would love a few. Do not overfeed - and you can even skip a day once a week. Good Luck!

Feb 27, 2009
He often floats to the top of the tank (normally on the same side) but is normally fine a couple of days later.
It is not normal for a betta to 'float' as you describe. It is an indication of health issues that need addressed. Does the betta float as you describe and then a couple of days later is swimming normally? If so, this may indicate constipation.

Many recommend feeding a deshelled raw pea to aid in relieving constipation and it can also prevent it if given on a regular basis. A friend of mine feeds her 5 betta the same food (its an excellent food) as your friend.

Her schedule is:
Monday-Wednesday - New Life food
Thursday - a pea
Friday-Saturday - New Life food
Sunday is a day of fasting

Aug 4, 2012
She's had him in this tank (.5 gallon) for about eight or nine months. I know the floating isn't normal, it actually really scares me. I didn't feed him yesterday and he's fine today. We tried the pea a few months ago and he refused to eat it. How does your friend get her betta to eat it? She told me to use distilled water, so I bought some from walmart. She doesn't have a thermometer, and doesn't do changes that often. I will get one if it will help him. What about the fin rot?

Aug 4, 2012
I think the tank is small, too. I just don't want to over-step a boundary and buy her a bigger tank.. I read online about this Mardel medicine for it, is it highly recommended?

Aug 4, 2012
I went to Petsmart and bought a thermometer and his tank is 72 degrees. I got a heater, but I think he's fine. I also got "Bettafix" for his fins, because the lady at Petsmart thinks his fins are just damaged from the plants she used to have in the tank.

Feb 27, 2009
Is the heater suitable for a 1/2 gallon tank? If so, I would recommend raising the temperature to 78 slowly.

With so small a tank, be careful when medicating to measure very accurately. A few drops too many is a large overdose with that quantity of water.

Aug 4, 2012
The heater is good for a half gallon, but there is no way to keep it at 78, I changed my room temp to 74 so now it's at 75-76. I gave him about .025 lower than what the box said for the gallon to make sure I wouldn't overdose him. I fed him a tad less than what she normally does every day(by a pellet or two) and he no longer floats to the top.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You might look at Goodwill or a thrift store for a larger container. I found a 5 g hexagon acrylic container for $1.99. You really need as close to 2.5 g as you can afford. But I will have to say - I found it easier to deal with the 1 gallon than the 2.5 gallon because I just changed the water weekly. Now I have my bettas in community tanks and that is so much better.

Aug 4, 2012
I know the tank is rather small for him, but I don't want to overstep my boundaries and get her a new one. He looks much better now and doesn't float. It would just feel like, "Hey, you didn't take good care of your fish, so I bought him medicine and a new tank. You're welcome." I'll only have him for another couple of weeks.