Water Change Advice

Rath22

New Fish
Feb 15, 2009
Southern California
Just getting back into the hobby. Recently set up a 55g planted tank. I am looking for advice or tips from those with experience as to the best way to make water changes. It's not getting the water out of the tank that is a problem. I am looking for tips on: 1. getting the water into the tank without making a mess. 2. How to best prepare the water prior to the day or time of change. Previously I filled up a rubbermaid trash can a day or so prior to the changing 3. I am concerned about the water temp as it is introduced to the tank and the potential shock to the fish. Could/should I mix that with some warm water prior to going in? Any advice will be much appreciated.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
25% of 55 gallons is a little less than 15 gallons: three 5 gallon buckets.

I'd say fill them up and treat them with PRIME. Let them sit for a day next to the tank if your fish are sensitive to thermal shock. Aside from temperature I don't think there is any other type of shock to the fish by introducing clean, fresh, properly treated water. My fish seem to like it.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
For me, getting water back into the tank without making a mess just takes patience. I've actually developed a technique of filling a bowl with water and then slowly submerging the bowl in the tank until the water inside the bowl connects to the water surrounding it. That way there's no spillage from splashing and there's very little movement of water that could disturb the decorations. good luck!

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
I have used 5 gallon buckets for the most part. I use a python for my 90g, they are very handy, just make sure your house has good water pressure. As far as temping the water, I try to get the water out of the tap at the same temp as the water in the tank before I refill. The use of prime or related product removes the chlorine and chloramines, and that is the only reason I know for leaving the water in a rubbermaid before the change.

Jun 21, 2008
Sorry it's a day late, I've been busy lately, but I also use 5 gallon buckets and let them sit with Prime because my area's tap water has a high chloramine content. (Otherwise I would probably use a python.) So, the way that I match the temp (mostly in the winter when the house is noticeably colder than the tank) is by filling a glass pitcher with water from the bucket and microwaving it for about 6 minutes. I do this once for each bucket, and when I pour it back into the bucket, I swish it around my arm. This usually gets it warm enough that the temp only changes by about a degree in the tank, if at all. But you can experiment with what works for you. The other benefit of the glass pitcher is that I can then use it to scoop out the water from the 5 gallon bucket into the tank until the 5 gallon bucket is more manageable. I realize that I am running the risk of cracking the pitcher by taking it from warm microwave and then dipping it back in cool water, but it's been fine so far. I got a pretty thick one from WalMart, the kind that you could serve beer in. I only use it for the tank and consider it a good investment. If anyone sees any problems with microwaving the water, feel free to jump in, but it works for me. Hope this helps some.

Dec 26, 2008
I adjust the water temp, until it matches that of the tank, (I take the thermometer out of the tank and just use that.) then I fill up the bucket and dump it into the tank. Then I add the water conditioner and salt to the bucket and dump it in.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
a little more expensive way would be to get a 15 to 20 gal container and fill it with water and put heater in it a few days in advance. treat your water then use a power head to pump water from container thru python (if you have one) or a hose and fill tank. your water is treated and at the temp you want.

I think that part of ensuring longevity at a (any) hobby involves making sure that you're having fun at it, that it is enjoyable; the moment you think of _any_ part of it as drudgery or too many steps, then its not a hobby anymore, it becomes a job.

I do 50% water changes and I try to do them once per week. I only have a 29 gallon tank at the moment. I use a siphon with gravel vaccuum to empty it and clean the gravel. I then add water conditioner to eliminate chlorine and chloramine, then I use a water thermometer in 5 gallon buckets to fill it up again; I make sure to match the water temperature. Hauling buckets is starting to seem like work at times, so I plan on getting a Python siphon and long hose soon!

Feb 17, 2009
The top of California
I use a Python as well. I get the water temp (at the tap) as close as I can to the temp of the tank, just judging by my sense of touch and fill the tank. I use NovAqua water conditioner and add it to the tank before I start the water. If I am only doing a 10 gallon change on one of my smaller tanks for some reason I will use a bucket with basically the same method. One handy thing I've learned is to fold a hand towel and place it on the edge of the aquarium, where you will rest the bucket to pour. It helps keep water from dripping down the front glass and keeps your bucket more stable. I have also placed an dinner plate inside the aquarium to keep the gravel from being scattered when the water gets dumped. Hope that helps!

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I take 2 spare 10 gallon tanks which I have , fill them up with water and match the temp on the tank (each of the 10's have a stick on thermometer) I then treat the water with prime and check the pH to make sure its the same as the tank. I then put a 50 gallon bucket on the floor and use a gravel vacuum/syphon hose to vacuum the gravel and remove the water from the tank, i fill up a clean 5 gallon bucket 4 times = 20 gallons, I then rinse the 5 gallon bucket and syphon the water from the 2 10's into it 4 times and then use a 2 gallon bucket to remover it from the 5 gallon and add it to the tank. Before i remove the water I use an algae pad on the sides.

My father works at home depot so buckets are free

and my tank is upstairs, no sink in site for a python, but I actually like doing the water changes, its part of the hobby, and the fish seem to like it