Water Change/gravel cleaner

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
Me again!!! I have been given conflicting advice....when should i be doing water changes and gravel cleaning after only having fish in the tank for 4 days???*celebrate

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well, I'm no expert, but water changes are probably a good thing :p (Based on your tank parameters). Gravel vacuuming is a good thing too, but I've read that during a tanks initial startup, you want to vacuum as little as possible, because the beneficial bacteria, are trying to build up to appropriate levels, and your substrate is one place where they reside.

I would do weekly 20-25% WC's unless your parameters warrant more frequent WC's.

I'm not sure how long you should wait before vacuuming, I waited about a month with no serious issues (during my tanks initial set-up, now I vacuum bi-weekly), but I made sure there wasn't any excess food reaching the bottom, and if it did I cleaned it up.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
The best and easiest way is to use a syphon/gravel vacuum. If you only want to remove water while leaving the gravel alone (while building up the bacteria) just keep the syphone above the gravel while sucking out the water. They are fairly inexpensive at any LFS or Walmart.

The main reason for doing the water change is to keep the parameters where they should be, as well as general cleanliness of the water. Goal would be to keep the nitrates below 20.

I'm not familiar with the products you used to get your cycle going. How are they working out? Ammonia and nitrites levels OK? I love to hear about success stories regarding speeding up the cycle. I recently did it the long way with fish (took 'bout 6 wks...........the longest 6 wks of my life).

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
water changes are a must when setting up a new tank, mainly to control ammonia and nitrIte buildup while the bio-cycle starts cranking.

you may even want to be doing 20% WC daily, depending on your water parameters. basically, you should be checking ammonia and then nitrIte every day until the parameters start showing up as 0 ppm...

if you get some really large ammonia or nitrIte spikes on a certain day, a WC might be best just to keep your fish from stressing out.

as for water change equipment, invest in a Python if you can! check drsfostersmith.com or BigAlsonline.com, they both sell them. Both places have plenty other more manual gravel cleaners as well. I've been using a Python for years, and my back loves it!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
When I cycled my tank I used my vac on the gravel during each water change (every other day, almost). How else would I get the left over food that would eventually rot and add to the ammonia level? It seems the tank cycled in the amount of time most people call "average", so I don't see how this could have reduced the bacteria level.

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
Used a small pale and it worked fine bit cloudy but i have been told i did not clean my gravel well enough.....going to get a gravel pump tomorrow and hopefully that will sort out any probs next time