Water change question

Feb 5, 2008
N.Y.
Tank still very new. See last post. Working to keep ammonia levels low with daily %50 water changes.

I have the siphon that picks up the gravel. Do I want to do that while the tank cycles or do I just want to change the water w/o disturbing the bottom?

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
definately DO NOT siphon the gravel, substrate.. it contains the bacteria that you need to cycle the tank.. just siphon from the middle of the tank. after you change the water.. wait a half hr and retest the water..

what type of equipment are you using.. size, type, brand?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Well... I think you can syphon the gravel if it's noticably dirty (leaving rotting food is just contributing more ammonia and nitrites to the tank after all) but never do more then 25% and never more then once a week especially when cycling.

Like Dwarf said you can totally use your syphon for a straight water change (I do it all the time) by just syphoning from the middle.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
well.. i purchased a marineland bio wheel 350 hob filter for my 29gallon tank and it does awesome.. it is rated at 350 gph and is for up to a 75 gallon tank. if you plan to over stock your tank you might want to get a bigger filter.. the bigger the better. there are alot of members here who are very knowledgeable.. take their advice

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I just use a little no name side filter that's rated for my tank size, bad bad me! (the filter's the next to be upgaded I swear!) but I change my water really religiously... it helps that it's on the kitchen counter and I can syphon it directly into the sink.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
It says it's good for 50G I would think you're doing okay. Right now worry about cycling your tank. Upgrading can happen later.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
yes.. upgrading can happen later.. i didnt mean go out and buy a bigger filter.. i was going to anyway.. so i figured do it now instead of later...

ps..tabmorte i have an extra marineland biowheel 150 with extra filters... if you want to buy it.. let me know.. i might list it on ebay