water change

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
As you can see I have a huge POS issue! would it hurt to do a 50% water change? I have tride a chemical to rid the isssue, didnt work. And a tride and filter media, didnt work. This F*#$ing algee clogs everything. What can I do! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the water change wouldnt hurt but it probably wont help...filter media and chemicals wont fix the problem...you need to find the source of nutrients and remove it to solve the algae problem

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
You SW guys! I add phosphate to my planted tank. Of course you guys don't have to keep an enema in your living room either, so it's better to be you than to be me.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well phosphate is great for growing plants (and algae) but since we don't grow a lot of plants it doesn't do us a heckuva lot of good...course you probably don't dose calcium, strontium, molybdenum, or iodine so there ya go....

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't rate the blanket trick at all. Algae is pretty sturdy, and it's going to take more than 2 or 3 daysto get rid of it. To do an effective job look on reefcentral.com at the threads on 'cooking 'live rock', which involves keeping it in the dark for 6 weeks at a time.
You're going to take a damn long time to gt rid of that by just limiting nutrient as well, plus you have so much it's probably choking water flow to the live rock and limiting that's filtration abilities. I would I'm afraid be looking at manual removal, which may well involve , at a water change, getting the live rock out of the tank to toothbrush the stuff off.
Not pretty, not easy but you have a lot of algae there and you'll be looking for some extreme measures. Or get the nutrient under control, get a good skimmer and get something that will eat it, and do it fast like a blenny.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I agree too. It worked miracles for me, though apparently it can do bad things to some sps, but in comparism aluminium p removers like seachem are far more likely to do terrible things to softies and zoanthids.
I just feel this tank is too green to expect anything good to happen without manual removal, else you've got to wait and starve progressively to death, and that will take months.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
what's your lighting ?? Had problems with 6500k fluo before. Huge algae problems. But part of a maturing tank too, i guess.I changed to 10000 and 18000 and thing were better. Even better with a 20000k MH.
I had a 6500k , 400 w MH for my indoor plants. Great for plants. But natural full noon spectrum isn't the best lighting to give to an algae invaded tank.
BTW LifeGlo Fluo (Hagen) are 6500 k .
You could reduce lighting time, reduce overall wattage...manually remove the crap. Unclog the skimmer. There's always the tootbrush and rocks in a bucket with salt water ( try using the water you're gonna waste when doing a water change ).
This is not a Po4 solution. Just algae. Po4 is everywhere jammed in your rock and substrate. Quite tuff to remove non-chemically
I'm still a newbie but had algae problems not so long ago.