Water change

Jun 20, 2005
Southeastern Michigan
I did a water change a few weeks ago, to my 40 gallon, and separated a lot of the fish, I now have six fish in the tank, where before there were 20+. I had assumed the tank would be cleaner since there are fewer, fish, but there's now tiny white stuff attached to the glass and on the underwater filter and ornaments. There are also while flakes floating around the tank.

Does anyone know how I get rid of these? What is it anyways? Please please reply if you know.

Thanks.

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
I also have had these "white stuff" that you are talking about I believe. After doing some research and experimenting a little bit I think what you have is a kind of hydra. Basically these things are present in all tanks and freshwater bodies of water. From my understanding they are harmless to your fish and in fact fish will eat them if they are hungry enough. Seeing on how they eat any leftover food or particles of food in your tank the way I read to get rid of them is to feed your fish less than you have been. I would assume that with you being used to having more fish you still haven't found the exact amount to feed your fish yet. Fish can go for some time without eating and not suffering ill effects. The way I cleaned my tank of them was to clean them all off of the glass with an algae cleaning brush then I started, for about a good week or two, to feed my fish only two tiny meals every other day. In doing so I starved the hydra things and have had them only appear once more when I was trying to breed my rams and was feeding them more to encourage spawning, thus having excess food. But when I cut back the feeding to two small feedings per day they disappeared again. Sorry for this being so long but I hope it helps you. If you have what I had it should help. Good luck.

Jun 20, 2005
Southeastern Michigan
Big help, thanks, I believe you're correct about what it is. I have been feeding the same amount to six fish that I usually fed to 20+. I'll cut down on food and get a alge scraper. I'll post how long it takes to get rid of these things, in case someone gets the same problem in the future.