Water Changes and filter maintenance

It seems many people have their own opinions with water changes. I'm trying to get a handle on tank maintenance, especially now that it seems to be clearing up nicely.

For those that don't know, I have a 75g tank. My current filter is an Eheim 2215. I have no live plants, and a small group of algae eating fish...such as four Oto Cats, a snail, a couple of 'sharks' and two pl*cos (clown and royal). I'm aware now of my pl*cos not being the best algae eaters. I have a Python for my changes, and there are three bubblers in my tank powered by a 90g rated dual output airpump.

I don't 'think' my tank is overstocked currently, but I know it eventually will be as they grow. I do have a 60g coming to alleviate this.

Anyways...I've been told by members here that my pl*cos need driftwood and that they will make quite a mess once they start eating it.

What I'm trying to find is the right schedule for maintenance. This is what I've decided to try:

Monday - 20-25% change, including gravel cleaning
Thursday - 20-25% change, no gravel cleaning, rinse out filter pads
Saturday - If needed, another 20-25% water change (same as Thursday but without rinsing the pads)

What I'm wondering is if I need to do this with the filter once a week as noted. I'm also unclear on how much of the insides I'm rinsing out. Do I rinse out the bagged media as well? I was told by my LFS that I wouldn't have to get any new media or buy anything for the 2215 for at least a year. Is this true? I mean, just how often SHOULD I be replacing stuff within my filter?

Now, there IS a second part to this...

I have bought a second 2215 for the tank...and a low gph powerhead for current. When I hook these up, will this affect how often I do water changes? Will it be enough to keep to my schedule, and still keep up with the pl*cos?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I think you will be just fine for a while, I'm not an expert, but that sounds like a good schedual to me, I wish I was as organised, my method needs to change now, I need some order with 9 tanks to care for LOL. Usually I do water changes when the water level gets low because it evaproates unordinarily fast here, which ends up being about once a week, depending on the tank, and of course the puffers get special attention because they're slobs. LOL

I don't like rinsing media too much, but this is why I like to have at least 2 forms of biological media so I can rinse one without worrying about creating a minicycle if I rinse too well. I only replace biological media if it starts slowing down flow or looking like it's had enough.

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
VirgoWolf said:
I only replace biological media if it starts slowing down flow or looking like it's had enough.
What exactally do you look for when you're seeing if it's had enough. I have 2 filter materials also, and I was wondering exactally when I need to replace each. Your idea is great about only replacing one at a time! I never thought about that! *thumbsup2