Water changes during cycle

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
5 is way high. I might be wrong, but logically some creatures inside the LR might not handle this spike for too long...even tough some LFS stores + shipping dudes don't change the water while it's cycling, at this point it could be a good idea to change a good % of your water

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
my lfs cures there rock in the open air with water being sprayed onto the rock and then running off, seemed pretty logical because the high ammonia in the waste water never effects the rock, but creating that for a home system (baring it is a 150 or something) seems pointless. I would do atleast a 10-15A% water change to prevent further possible dieoff on the rock. I guess thats why some people like to cycle with a skimmer, although I dont know how much the skimmer would help the ammonia, thought it was more for the nitrates but it could help a little.

How long has the rock been cycling?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
that sounds about right, especially if it wasnt overnight. But even on overnight it could be this noticable but just multiplied when it isnt. Did you end up ordering your rock from marinedepotlive?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would be doing large water changes long before that - I like my liverock live.

Skimmers don't skim ammonia or nitrate - they're to remove organics before they enter the nitrogen cycle