Water changes for sick bettas

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
My betta got Ammonia poisining and I know that water changes are good for fixing that, but I don't know what the best way to do that would be. Also, my water is really cold at room temp., is there a good tempature for nitrafying bacteria? Thanks.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
How many gallons is this tank that the betta is in?? If it is too small, this prob. won't work too well.

When I had my Lionhead in a 2 gallon (Former inhabitants were picking on him), I knew I HAD to do water changes at least every other day. I couldn't reach in with a cup or anything to get water out cuz the fish would be in the way. So..I just got some air tubing (tubing for the air pump), cut to desired length and siphoned with that into a gallon jug. Depending on on the size of your tank, you can repeat as desired unless you got another/bigger container to collect the water. With the water being syphoned through such tiny air tubing, the water will come out really slow and it should not stress the fish out. You may even wish to use more than one of these tubes at a time to make it a bit faster.

Good luck.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The mid-80s Farenheit are the ideal for nitrifying bacteria.

I often use water from the hot tap (mixed with cold) in the winter for water changes, but you do need to check that the temperature is the same as the tank water.

On the smallest tanks I've had (1g or less), I have used a turkey baster to remove some of the water.

DEADLIFT

Medium Fish
Sep 30, 2005
UK, West Mids
Lotus said:
The mid-80s Farenheit are the ideal for nitrifying bacteria.

I often use water from the hot tap (mixed with cold) in the winter for water changes, but you do need to check that the temperature is the same as the tank water.

On the smallest tanks I've had (1g or less), I have used a turkey baster to remove some of the water.
Just be careful with hot water. if you have some fur, limescale or whatever sitting in your boiler it will end up in the tank.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Lotus said:
Hmmm, a turkey baster. Haven't thought of using that before. I guess, basically, you can use anything that sucks. Hm, so just a Celine Dion CD into the water. Just make sure you got a BIG ENOUGH container for the water volume that'll come out! Haha, I kid, I kid.

pillowchii

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2005
LOL!!! Celine Dion CD.....priceless...heeeeee.

Ya, I use a turkey baster, also. Really good for picking up random detritus from the bottom of the tank in-between water changes, too. <3

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
water changes

Do a 30% partial water change once a week, what size is your aquarium? if it is at least 5 gal I HIGHLY recommend a heater. If the tank is smaller maybe you can put him in a warm room where the temp is at least 74 degrees. You can get one of those plastic color chart ammonia alerts that stick to the glass, a quick easy way to check the ammonia daily. See about putting Bio-Spira in the tank to help your tank get established and it is very safe for fishies.