Water Changes in A newly cycled tank = BAD????

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
My ammonia levels in my tank are not going to 0 after 18 days of cycling with safe start, I added more safe start at day 13 and still ammonia is at .50-1.0 ppm I was told NOT TO DO water changes right now because it will keep restarting my cycle, up untill day 13 I had done 3 25% changes. I called the place that told me not to do water changes for an update and he said I know its hard but you have to wait it out, and again instructed me not to do water changes. Does this have merit? or should i do what I think is right and change the water. Should I change the water without vacuuming the gravel? Please help, its impossible for me to wait this out. Im trying not to loose fish in this process

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
removing water will remove some ammonia/nitrite which is needed for the bacteria to grow and get rid of it, unfortunately it is also harmful to your fish, which is why you need the bacteria. So you need it and also don't want it. It a balance you need to figure out.

Michaelh218

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
I'd say just remove water for now, that way you don't disturb the bacteria colonies as much. But that's just a newb opinion :)

Keep in mind, this is ONLY if you have fish in there, if no fish or invertebreas (sp) then leave it alone and let it finish on its own.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Yes Joey. Remove the water from anywhere in the tank without touching decorations or gravel if there are already fish in the tank.

If not, let the tank finish cycling on its own (although I don't know how to cycle a tank with a starting chemical- follow the instructions on the bottle).

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Thanks for your feedback, I wrote tetra an email for a second time and they answered almost immediately. I told them the same thing I told you guys they said :

Hello,

As long as ammonia and nitrite levels are below 1.5 ppm, let the tank
cycle. Unless of course the fish appear stressed, then change about 25%
of the water.

Sincerely,

Tetra Consumer Relations

Im gonna wait it out because thats what every1 seems to be saying, wish me luck

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Recently, after I had cycled my 55g, I added some of my fish and it spiked another cycle (I guess it wasn't 100% done- IDK). I did 15-25% WC everytime my ammonia got to .25 because if it hit .5, it started affecting my fish (yours may be less sensitive than mine were). I did that ngihtly for about a week and haven't had any problems since. In fact, I'll be vacuuming the gravel for the first time this weekend.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
thanks ladylail im just stressing out, today at about 5 pm my ammonia dropped to under .25. The fish seem happy and normal. I was just wondering now that im calm, how long before I should start vacuuming the gravel?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Now the ammonia is dropping, look for a nitrite spike. Start testing for nitrites now. If it gets up to 1.0, do a partial water change. You shouldn't have to vacuum the bottom until the nitrite spike is over, as then your tank should be completely cycled. Remember, though, leave your filter media alone -- don't change it out completely or rinse it in tap water, because you'll kill off bacteria and have another ammonia spike.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
ok thanks again for all the advice, my ammonia today is at .50 again and still no trace of nitrite... im 20 days into the cycle, 8 since my last water change (since i stopped doing them). I will NEVER do a cycle with fish again, im so worried they are gonna get sick, or die. I seem to be the only one whose getting sick though, the fish seem better then ever