water changes...options...

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
high there y'all...
i have a water change question...

if i change 30% once a week...it takes an hour...[12gall]
if i change 10% every other day...it takes ten minutes...[4gall]

i think that the ten percent change is actually better for me...
and better for the fish too...whaddya think...:)

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
I use the bucket method. This is because my tank is in my office at work (I get a lot of compliments on it :cool: )

It takes me 10 minutes to change 10% (2 gal bucket, couple times per week, there is a reason I only do 10% a time). Each water change is in conjunction with vacuuming the gravel. I then have to walk down the hallway and dump it in the utility closet. If I were to change more, the time would increase proportionally, i.e. 30% would be 6g and therefore be 3 trips equalling 30 minutes.

I don't see how a 40g with 30% change could take an hour, unless there were significant distances between the water source and tank. Perhaps purchase a larger bucket or a python.

I do 10% several times a week, but at that low I have to in order to keep the nitrAtes managable.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
hey guys,,,thanks for the replies...
i knew people would wonder about the time for a 30% change...
it takes that long to heat the water to 24C...:)
as it's starting off at 10C from the tap...
[two buckets...6gall each]...

i have a syphon...i guess that's what you call a python...

so what about the original question...
are evey other day 10%'s...better than a weekly 30%... :)

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Back to the reason I only do 10%...

The water at work is milky white when I use the warm water. Because of this I use the cold water tap only. It comes out crystal. The cool water added to the tank does not affect the water temp. This is because of the low volume being added. For me this works just fine. It also allows me to spend less time, at once, in the tank stressing out the fish. I spread the water changes over the week to reduce overall stress. And so my employeer doesn't see me spending a lot of time at once working on my aquarium.:eek:

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
^^^ I totally forgot about the milky-when-warm water from when I lived in Central Illinois. Here is what I have found about milky appearance -

Philidelphia Water Department said:
Why does my water appear milky?

If you have ever shaken up a warm bottle of soda, you know that all of the carbonation or carbon dioxide gas added in the production process wants to come out. If you open the top, the fluid will fizz up and over as the gas escapes to the air.

The same is true for tap water. When cold, such as during the winter, water is reach in oxygen. When it enters our homes, the water warms up and the oxygen wants to escape. You turn on the tap and, like shaking up that bottle of warm soda, the air fizzes up. As the glass of water sits, you will see the water clear from the bottom of the glass upward, as the air bubbles rise and escape to the air. All of these tiny air bubbles give the glass of water a milky appearance under natural or household lighting.

The air bubbles are not harmful and will quickly dissipate.

and here is what the Kansas City Water Department says:
Sometimes my water comes out cloudy and appears to have "things" floating in it. What is this and is it harmful?
In the fall and winter months you may notice that your water comes out cloudy. Some even describe it as "milky". This is due to the temperature of the water. The colder the water is, the more dissolved oxygen (air) it can hold. But once this oxygen saturated water is drawn out into our warm rooms, it can no longer "hold" the entrapped air and it comes out as tiny bubbles. The bubbles can be so small and numerous however, that it can appear that there are swirling "things" moving in the water. If you draw a glass out and watch it closely, it will appear to clear from the bottom up as the air escapes. After several minutes the water appears clear but there may be visible bubbles on the inside of the glass.

This is not harmful, it's just air. You may notice it and your neighbors not, due to differences in construction, where pipes are located, etc. but it doesn't mean you have a problem or that your water is different than theirs. There is really nothing economical we can do at the treatment plant to change this. We do add some warm well water in the winter months to raise the temperature enough to try to prevent pipelines from breaking and to keep our treatment basins from freezing, but we could not heat all the water used in Kansas City every day.

So you'd be fine using this. I think most places around your area use surface water for the municipal supply (I know Charleston did), which is naturally very cold this time of year - meaning more dissolved oxygen. Like the quotes above say, the milkyness is micro o2 bubbles excaping the water because it cannot be contained in the higher temperature.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
GIS Guy said:
Back to the reason I only do 10%...

The water at work is milky white when I use the warm water. Because of this I use the cold water tap only. It comes out crystal. The cool water added to the tank does not affect the water temp. This is because of the low volume being added. For me this works just fine. It also allows me to spend less time, at once, in the tank stressing out the fish. I spread the water changes over the week to reduce overall stress. And so my employeer doesn't see me spending a lot of time at once working on my aquarium.:eek:
good info dude...
i don't use the warm tap as it's full of debris...
dust motes and bits of krapp...

our cold water is crystal clear...and really cold...7C last nite...
[that's 'really cold' compared to the 24C i need for the tank]...
i'm heating a 4 gallon[imp] bucket with a spare tank heater...
and i'm going to do that every other night...

i like the sound of 'reducing overall stress'...
i think the nitrate levels will be more even with this method too...
fewer highs and lows...gotta be betta for the fish dudes...
all in all...best for the fish...best for me... :)

ps...i like your clever 'trick' with your boss...
in ireland we would say you are 'juking him rightly'... :):)

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
My water is also milky. I do not mind though as it is cleared up within a matter of minutes. The python is a syphon, but a syphon is not always a python... the python is a brand and it attaches to your faucet making it incredably easy to change water. I also use the bucket method. I have a 1.5 gallon bucket and I like to change about 10-15% once a week in my 29 gallon tank. I have a small bioload that is why it is so low. Anyway, I do not know how warm 24c is in farenheit terms, but my tank is at about 76 degrees and I can pretty much match within a couple of degrees the new water straight from the tank. I would assume that your tank is within that temp range as it is pretty typical for a tropical tank. Do you heat your water with another heater in a seperate container while you do this? I think doing it the other way is much more simple and it takes me about 20 mins and that is with a 1.5 gallon bucket!!

Last edited:

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I use 2.5 Gallon buckets to drain the water. I have 2 of them (I think they were $0.99 from walmart) and fill them each twice using a gravel vac. Then I have a 5 gallon jug (like you put on a water cooler) I fill with warm water from the tap on the bathtub. I add the dechlor, shake it up, and put it in the tank. I like treating the water before I put it in the tank, rather than after - so I'm not actually adding Cl into the tank.

As for the differences between hot and cold tap water - there are none. All of the compounds and chemicals that are present in both. It all comes from the same place (but the hot water makes it to an extra step of going through your water heater). Before being promoted into the position I have now, I worked for a municipal water department. Most of the time people who called complaining about problems in their water, were calling about the dissolved o2 that I mentioned above. It is perfectly fine to use warm tap water. Do the glass test if you don't belevie me. Go fill a glass with hot water, and let it sit on the counter. Does it clear up? (It will as the oxygen escapes from the top of the glass). That's what we would tell people to do before we sent anyone over to check on the water.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
hello hello shaunna...24c is 75.2f...so we're both pretty close...
i see what a python is now..i just have a syphon...

i heat my 4 gall in a seperate bucket...
and syphon out 4 gall from my tank...
i am 'hoovering' the gravel only once a week...
when the 'new' water is warm...
i treat it to 'kill' the chloramine...
and then syphon it in...gently...

less stress for the fish...and for me... :)

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
hyunelan2 said:
I add the dechlor, shake it up, and put it in the tank. I like treating the water before I put it in the tank, rather than after - so I'm not actually adding Cl into the tank.
me too...:)
i let the 'new' water 'sit' in the bucket overnight...
to 'de-gas' ... i know it's probably not necessary these days...
but i do it anyway...peace of mind i guess... :)

hyunelan2 said:
As for the differences between hot and cold tap water - there are none.
maybe not where you are...
but i did a change once using the hot tap as well...
the water was full of debris...dust motes and specks of krapp...
every other change has been cold only...clear as crystal...
might be me pipes...who knows...i'll stick with the cold... :)

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
If there truly are things in your hot water that are not present in your cold water - you may want to think of replacing your water heater or hot water tank.

I would bet more than likely, you were deceived by o2 outgassing from the hot water. Try the test I mentioned above with the open glass sitting on the counter.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
hyunelan2 said:
If there truly are things in your hot water that are not present in your cold water - you may want to think of replacing your water heater or hot water tank.

I would bet more than likely, you were deceived by o2 outgassing from the hot water. Try the test I mentioned above with the open glass sitting on the counter.
ok...i'll give it a go...:)