Water Changing + Ph... Need to know!

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
When I do a water change, do I need to have the right temperature of water coming in? Or will it just automatically heat up? Also, I have been cycling my new tank for 2 days now. I was wondering since my amonia, nitrite, and Ph levels are already okay, could I start getting fish already? Or do I have to wait a little longer until I could get accurate readings?
-Thanks!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
fishcrazy][;478518 said:
sounds like you could start puttong fish in i normally do cyclin for 2 days then add fish what kind of fish were you going to add
It's much longer than that. Give it at least a month to six weeks. I've done fish-in and fish-less cycles and they averaged about 50 days. Instant cycles are always nice. I 'borrow' some used media from one of my other tanks to cycle a tank.

Keep a record of your nitrite levels. When they peak and then drop down to 0 then you're ready.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
when you add new water to your tank with your water change you should be trying to match the temperature as closely as possible to the tank temperature, that way you don't stress your fish out any more than needed.

Dec 3, 2007
Sounds like some confusion about cycling still - you can find a lot of info if you search on the forums or check the beginner stickies.

But remember the concept of "cycle" means you're going through different phases; think of a lunar cycle - it's not complete until all of the phases of the moon have passed. with the nitrogen cycle, the first stage means no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates; then you'll introduce ammonia, but have no nitrites or nitrates; then you'll start to see ammonia lower while nitrites rise, and eventually ammonia and nitrites lower while nitrates rise. the ONLY way you know the cycle is complete is to test levels and monitor that these phases have passed.

Your tank is cycled when there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrates, but ONLY after it has gone through the stages before this.

As for matching temperature in water changes - yes, you want to get your temperature pretty close to the water in your tank. let it sit for a while if it seems way off. then when you add it, pour it in very slowly; this will let the temperature gradually acclimate.