water changing

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok i did a 10% water change this weekend...ive read that some people do a 10% change every 2 weeks and others do a 20% change once a month...wich method is better? wich method do you guys use??

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I guess it depends on the livestock you have. I don't have much...like 6 corals and 2 fishes ( oh boy i'm poor ) on a 4 feet 55 gallons. I do a 5.5 gallons water change ( approx. ) every week. It may be excessive, but i had lot of po4 in my tank before, now i used ro/di water and MH light and i could change less water. I think if your skimmer sucks, you should change more water too.
A good sign to see if it's time to change the water is looking at the waterline. If you see a oily texture, or opacity at the top, you should do a water change. I prefer to do this weekly than bi-weekly or monthly, because i think the salinity/temp/trace elements will be much more balanced than on a huge shift.
Anyways...i have corals in high areas on the live rock, so even if i wanted to drain 20% of my tank, i would remove them from the top and they wouldn't like that.

check this out :

http://reefcentral.com/calc/RODICalc.php

Pretty useful
*SUPERSMIL

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
since i dont have a protien skimmer yet do you suggest i do a parctial water chage weekly then??and how often does every one else change there water?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I do a weekly change and I have very little live stock on a 40 gallon, mostly corals, but yes you should be doing 5-7 gallons per week because you have no skimmer that means you really need to stay ontop of your water quality, I cant believe you dont have a skimmer on either of those tanks, I would make that one of your top priorities, just below getting a bigger tank

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I do about 20% weekly in my tank. Also when doing your water changes take into consideration the actual volume of water inside the tank. I have a 40gl tank but factor in the substrate, LR and other inhabitants and I would than probaly only have about 30-35gl of water actual in the tank, so calculate accordingly.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yes indeed. the LR takes a lot of space...therefore, less water ..unless you have a sump.
When i started not so long ago ( september ) , i wanted to save money and neglect skimming and lighting. Well i did buy a skimmer and now i can say it's vital..all this junk collected in the cup would still be in my tank...or transformed

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i have a 55 with about 15g more in the sump and i do 10ish gallons every other week...but i do have a skimmer and i do not feed much at all...plus i have the xenia nutrient absorption system ;)

i think at least 10% a week is in order for you considering you are not skimming and you are heavily (dare i say "over") stocked

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think he was reccomend 5% daily to give a total of 25% weekly...i dont know what happened to saturday and sunday

and yes, with the 2 fish you have in there it is a heavy bioload for the tank volume especially without a skimmer

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i do plan to upgrade to a larger tank but im not getting rid of the 55g so ill still need one for this tank as well as the new one
(new one coming later down the road)

btw i think ill just hang it on the back... but what are your thoughts on this??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the aquac remora is a good hob, there is also an aqua medic turboflotor hob, cpr bakpak, i think precision marine makes a pretty big hob which might be good for you b/c you will be getting a larger tank, and of course the notoriously crappy red sea berlin prizm which probably doesn't have enough kick for you

most of these are in the $200-$300 range but i don't know where they will be cheapest online, you will have to do some "leg"work