Water current

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
It might be ok it might be absolutely horrible. What kind of fish do you have in there? If you have some big rainbowfish or something they might be OK. But seriously, there's no benefit you can gain from having 2 powerheads. Is this in addition to a power filter? Or do you just use powerheads with a filter pad?

Either way, that's got to be a whole whack of current. A small tetra would last only a few days, like most cichlids too. A slow current is enough. One Hang On Tank filter will sufficiently agitate and aerate 20 gallons. The only fish that would benefit from 2 powerheads are goldfish, who love oxygen. But even then, there's too much current, and water cant absorb all that oxygen.

Leave ONE powerhead on, put the flow to a lower level if you can, and angle it so it comes out of the water a bit. This gives you MORE oxygen, and slows the current. Sell the other powerhead dude, seriously, its so so pointless.

Ok dude. chizaw

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
pablo,

this is the SW topic so that answer isnt really relevant

I think that should be fine current wise (Wayne is really a lot more knowledgeable than I) but consider what corals/fish you plan to keep when thinking about how much current you really want

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You are too kind. I actually know very little. But an easy analogy is if you've been to a reef you'll know that this is not too much, so don't worry. Try to point them at each other flow is turbulent and a little random rather than 'tabular'(?) - washing machine style.
It is possible you might have some cave dwelling inverts that wouldn't appreciate the flow, but this is not so likely.
340 gallons an hour is quite a bit, but I have seen a zebra plec breeding setup that had similar water flow to that. It's not normal , but for breeding plecs, and some others (inc cichlids!) it's not unusual