Water Hardness Test Results

tlkng1

Small Fish
Jul 17, 2009
Glen Burnie, MD
Hi All..

I completed the water hardness test, (using the API test kit, liquid) but am confused by the results. Some background:

My tank pH remains true and steady at 7.8. Despite having invested a lot of money previously in trying to get it down to a nice community 7.0, nothing worked, so, I modified my inhabitants to work with the 7.8.

Based on my research, when a pH is resistant to modfication, either up or down, this is due to hard water. I have Swordtails, who are supposed to be hard water addicted, that are growing, breeding and in general living the good life.

My test results showed a KH of 2 and a GH of 5, which actually indicates relatively soft water, I think. I ran the test five times with the exact same results.

Can someone clue me in? :)

Thanks

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Since swordtails like "harder" water parameters, why would you want to lower the ph then? As to cluing you in on what is going on with your ph, i wouldn't know. You've done everything right compared to using test strips and doing no research... hopefully someone more knowledgeable in this life long hobby can help you.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Since swordtails like "harder" water parameters, why would you want to lower the ph then? As to cluing you in on what is going on with your ph, i wouldn't know. You've done everything right compared to using test strips and doing no research... hopefully someone more knowledgeable in this life long hobby can help you.
lowering pH wont lower your water hardness... its different. I have very hard water and very low pH...

Unfortunately I can't help you buddy but I'm pretty sure most fish can adapt to any pH and water hardness... It's not that big of a deal.

tlkng1

Small Fish
Jul 17, 2009
Glen Burnie, MD
:)

I am just trying to verify the readings. I want to set-up a tank for Sailfin Mollies and the two pairs I am interested in need very soft water...the site I researched says 1-2. The pH can stay where it is but I need to find out what the test results actually mean so I can see where I am at for the mollies.