Water movement

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
How does everyone create good (powerful) water movement within your tank for your SPS and hard corals?
My tank is 65gal, with 4 feet (48") in length. If I had to use only powerhead, it would require about 6 or 7 (maybe more) placed at various point in the tank. An unsightly sight for main display tank in the living room.
I took the return from the sump and created a spray bar. I then saw DIY project to eliminate dead spot using a sprinkler head. But I was unable to fit the fine thread bushing to fit a Saturn III sprinkler head. So I bought a Titan Orbit sprinkler head and improvised. This is sprinkler is hooked to the return from canister and located in the middle of the tank. Although it stated that the spray distance to be 15 to 25 feet, since the water pressure from the pump isn’t strong (compared to your utilities) and the fact that it is under water, the spray distance is only about 10 inches (or even less).
I would be glad if someone gave me a idea on how to create strong water movement under the water without adding a lot of powerhead or buying an expensive wavemaker.

Rohn

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
my suggestion would be a closed loop system with a strong external pump. This would eliminate the unsightly powerheads and it provides a relativly cheap option to a expesnvie wave maker (all you would need is a strong pump and pvc pipeing)

I dont know if you have a overflow but you could put the intake in that and the returns would look exatcly the same as your existing sump returns