Water movement

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
My setup:

2 - Seio m620 located on the sides of the tank angled across the water towards the front.
2 - maxi jet 1200 crossed in the middle angled at the top of the water.

I'm starting to get cyno on the right side of my tank and I think it's because of the lack of flow there. All this talk lately about koralias has made me thinking about a #3. Do you think if I put on on the left side of my tank it will help the dead area on the right side? Do you think if I go with 2 and have them on the sides I could eliminate the 2 in the middle? I am going to clean my current powerheads first to see if that helps.

Here is a pic to help show what I have.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if u had 2 #3's it would definitly eliminate the two in the middle....even with one #3 on the side u think has a dead spot i belive it would eliminate that aswell...i only have one #3 and that side has no dead spots
btw i will be adding another.. this one a #4 hopefully this week if the deal goes through a member of my local reef club is getting rid of one for $35 :p

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well it's not a complete dead spot, just not as much as the rest of the tank. I have pretty darn good flow, but I think a koralia would give me a better spread. I'm trying my seios in 'cannon' mode first. After cleaning them it helped quite a bit.

Well I was out of town yesterday and when I came home my firefish died. I have no idea how as he is always out and about eating and acting normal. Anyway, I then tested for all the tests I had.

CA - 400
dKh - 10.2
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
PO4 - 0, I have been reading between .25 and .50. I couldn't get it to come down. This time it's 0. Then I noticed how my chaeto wasn't growing like it should because the other stuff is out growing it and blocking the light. I have been thinking about getting a mangrove to help out. Just to see if it helps. I have hair algae growing on the one side of my tank because the fuge light was shining into my tank and I didn't realize it. I since blocked the light so it won't come through. I also have green bubble algae all over though mainly on the left side. My RO/DI water has no po4.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmmm.....sorry to hear about the firefish, that sucks.

Have you tested for Magnesium? It is possible that you are supplementing everything else it is possible this has depleted......

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Having algae present will result in a "false" 0 reading on test kits because they are using up whatever you are testing for...it doesn't mean there isn't something getting in your water either during top off or when you are making new SW.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
My topoff water and newly mixed is all zeros. I just cleaned out my fuge so only chaeto is in there now. It was being over run by some other stuff. I'm hoping it will take off and possible be what I need. If not, i'm going to try a mangrove.

I use Reef advantage to buffer CA which all includes magnesium and some other trace elements.