Water oxygenation

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I was planning on going with an HOB like an Emperor 400 but it was suggested that I go for a canister instead. From what I read, using an HOB helps oxygenate the water. Since I will not be using one, what are the "best" ways to get oxygen into the water? I prefer something that isn't too visible (kind of why I didn't want to use a canister). I feel the equipment will affect the attractiveness of the tank and fish.

On a side note. What types of things should I look for in a canister. More bays = better? It seems like the more bays you have the better the canister would be so you could have more media (different types). What media is worth putting in the canister (carbon, ammonia, etc..)?

tydirian

Medium Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Houston, TX
The tank should get plenty of O2 with a little surface agitation. This is the main way that O2 get into the water. You could use an airstone to circulate the water if you like but the flow from a canister should take care of you. I have only ever had Ehiem canisters so I have no experience with other brands. As for what you should put in the canister it kind of depends on the purpose. Do you need biological or mechanical filteration? At most I would think that you need a canister that allows for basic mechanical with filter pads/foam and some sort of aggragate for biological.

How big is the tank and what are you putting in it?

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I have a 75g tank freshwater tank I am working with. I know very little about what types of filtration are necessary or important when it comes to trying to keep a tank clean and healthy, so any pointers on that would be great. I am not sure what kind of fish I will be putting in it yet.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I wasn't planning on it because I am inexperienced and figured I had enough on my plate. I do like the idea of them though. Much prefer real plants over fake ones. I also wanted to use sand, but I heard the plants don't do too well in the sand. Is this true?

If I was to go with real plants, would that along with a canister be enough oxygen for the fish?

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
I thought about a canister but I ended up with a Penguin HOB with a bio wheel. Its worked well. I actually enjoy the sound of water pouring out of it - kinda relaxing. It does a good job for filtration and provides more than enough oxygenation.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Water that's near the surface will get oxygen, it doesn't need to be broken up, just needs to be near the surface. The reason HOBs accomplish this well is because they create a circular flow that bring the water from the bottom to the top, and vice versa. You can accomplish the same effect with a cannister, you just have to play with the output end a little bit.

Glad to hear your happy with your Penguin. Bio-wheels are great.

~JW