Water problem

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
so far i just mixed in IO saltmix with filtered water with a little bit of water conditioner.

i tested it and everything is just going wrong....

wat r the water specification for a FOWLR?

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
keep it around 1.023 i think but if you tested it right after you mixed it and it was wrong that's probably because (at less for me) it's off from what it will once it's fully mixed give it awhile to mix and then test it again if not then remove a little water from it and add new water with out salt and then test it
Good luck,
Nick
BTW what was it at?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i added some saltmix (if u add salt into your tank it doesnt kill your LR right?) to my tank it only has live rock right now.

but its at 1.019 and moving up and down.

ok just tested it again and got this

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
ppm Total Hardness: 425
ppm total alkalinity/buffering capacity: 300+
ph:looks like 8.4 but might be higher -_-

anything else im missing?

and wat do u guys recommend on fixing this water problem?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Joe Fish said:
What is actually going wrong?

For FOWLR keep the SG between 1.023 and 1.025. I could give it at least an hour before the salt dissolves, but don't use it for at least 24 hours. Keep it aerated as best you can.
yeah i have a bubble curtin going on the side of it along with a 300 gph powerhead in the 10g tank. with 9 lbs of LR

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should always mix the water outside of the tank. Never add salt to a tank with living creatures in it. A bucket with a powerhead and waiting 24 hours before adding it is the best way to do it.

Also, be aware that the swing-arm hydrometers are calibrated at around 78 Farenheit, so if the water was hotter or colder, the reading won't be accurate.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah im using the red sea hydrometer. its moving up and down 1.017-1.019

how do i fix the other problems like alkalinity and hardness?

i cant be that simple just add the right amount of saltmix?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
my SG is still at 1.016-1.019 i pre mixed some salt in my bucket and letting it sit over night so i'lll added it when i get back from school.

btw i only have LR in my tank for now. hope the 1/3 cup i put in didnt kill anything -_-

the rock was semi-precured so its hitchhiker free so nothing died, not sure about the bacteria tho =/

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I doubt the salt did, but leaving the LR in only semi marine water may well have killed a lot of stuff. The bacteria, and some hair algae will have survived tho'
You need to mix up 'normal' stengh seawater to get the alk on track. The easy way is to mix up the water to strengh, then add the LR......

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
74 is waaaay too low for a reef. Most corals found on the reef are in waters at 80+ degrees.
I personally shoot for 80-84, and that's until I can set aside enough money for a chiller. Once I have that beast, I plan on keeping my water at 82 degrees.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Salinity: 1.024 - 1.026
Temp: 78-84
pH: 8.1 - 8.4

Adding salt directly to a tank is not recommended (unless nothing is in it, ie new setup) as you can cause salt burns.

Pre mix SW to correct temp. and Salinity in a bucket (If you are doing a large water change (25%+) it is recommended to aerate it for 24hrs)

Your salt mix should bring everything to where it needs to be... but that may depend on your water. I have to add a pH buffer to mine to bring the pH up to the correct level.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i'll stick with 82 since its really cold out and maybe i'll go down to 80-81 in the spring and back to 78-79 in the summer. over here once it gets hot it gets hot -_-

btw wat should the alkalinity be at?
and the hardness? its been a while since i read them