water surface.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
HI all, you know when you look up at the water in you tank? mine is a little filmy, not a lot but you can tell when my power head keeps the surface moving the moving water is like pure clean, but there is a slight haze, maybe like dust?? not bubbles or anything like that. It has always been there realy, sometimes its there sometimes not. well besides that my tank is kikkin a$s, it's doing good just need some fish. I wish I had a better camra to take some pics with to. *PEACE!*

ok thanx

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
re;scummy surface:you can get protein skimmers for dealing with that or you can use a sheet of paper(may take some time)to lift it off,atleast I've read about it.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
I have a Aqua C remora. And S. reef, I am stickin with it. I hope to go buy some fish this weekend. the tank is lookin good. although the intake for my powerhead(on the skimmer) its like 4 inches under the water level. does this matter?? the water surface is clean now.
k, bye...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's better if it's higher - organics tend to accumulate near the surface, so you may as well pull your dirty water from there. You can buy a surface skimmer attachment for the Remora, or you can make one but beware , they can be a tricky to setup if your water level fluctuates a lot.
This is one easy way to make all skimmers work better. Skim the dirtiest water.

Noone can do the 'paper towel to remove surface film' trick!

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
wayne said:
Noone can do the 'paper towel to remove surface film' trick!
I managed it to some degree to get the crap that not rinsing my sand resulted in. I didn't know it was a known method, I thought I had made it up. I used to use kitchen paper to take the film from the top of cold cups of english tea. *celebrate

Last edited:

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
If your skimmer has a pre-filter box or some other kind of surface skimmer attachment available get it. I made one for my HOB skimmer and I have a power head blowing a surface current toward it so that the skimmer can collect it better and I get a lot more skimmate now. I have a BakPak 2R by the way.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Well it's kind of hard to explain how I made it because I was looking around at a Meijer store one day for a plastic container that I could modify for this use. I found a plastic garden tool holder that was blue and matched my tank background. It has 2 compartments, one for the powerhead to fit in and a smaller one next to it for the output tube to sit in so everything is hidden. I cut off the handle and cut some slits around the top for water flow and slowly adjusted the width of them so they could handle a flow slightly greater than the Maxijet 1200 can pull in. I also drilled 2 holes in the back of it for suction cups. When I have a chance I will post some pics. I'm at work right now, working hard as you can see! :D