water temp.

Mar 1, 2006
chicago, il
I have a question about my water temp. no matter what i do thewater stays at about 84 degrees. I had the heater set to 79 and the thermometer said the temp was 82 so i lowered the heater to 72 and it didnt lower it actually has gone up a few degrees. the fish dont seem to mind it? they are acting normal and eating regularaly and actually now my pleco poops a lot more. im not sure what to do to lower the temp in the tank? help plz:cool:

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
have you made sure that the thermometer is accurate? you can replace a termometer for a few dollars. Plus since the weather is so warm now, you might have to kick on the A/C or place a fan by the tank to keep the temp. down. BTW, the fish in your tank will do fine with temps up to 82.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I had a similar problem with my tank temp as well. When I first set it up I turned the nob in the middle of 72 and 76. The temp. would stay around 84. My house temp was much lower so I didn't think that could effect it. My heater light would turn on/off regularly so I didn't think it was broken. I kept decreasing the temp on the nob and eventually found that if i leave it at 70 my tank temp would remain at 78. It's been steady ever since.