Water Temperature

madgalaxy

Small Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Folks,

I got a tank for my Den, it is an Eclipse 12. The tank is planted and currently cycling; I have the heater set to 78 (which my other tanks are). I have not decided on what type of fish I will put in this tank. During the day this room tends to get warm (I work from home and there are 2 PC's running and a TV usuaully on). I have noticed that the tank goes up to 80 during the day. Couple questions:

1) Will freshwater fish tolerate this 2 degree change every day? If not...
2) Should I set the heater to 80, for a constant temperature? If so, are there any fish I should avoid putting in the tank at this temperature?
3) Should I just move the tank out of the room?

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
My thoughts exactly.
Most freshwater tropical fish will do fine in that temp.

That 'elevated' temperature you describe---same thing happens in some of my tanks...especially the smaller ones. The most 'drastic' swing occurs in my smallest tank---the 3 gal. Eclipse. It sometimes goes from mid to high 70s all the way up to about 82 degrees F. (generally a 4-6 degree swing)

Everything I've ever kept in there has been just fine. The temperature 'swing' takes place so gradually that it doesn't shock the fish whatsoever.

If you're still a little unsure, it's best if you narrow it down to a few species that you're really interested in and then ask specifically about them to get some species-specific feedback, which will help put your mind at ease. ;)

Big Vine

madgalaxy

Small Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks all for your comments. My gut was telling the temp swing would be ok, but I did not want to deal with sick fish! I am glad, because I did not want to move it. The whole reason I got it was to have an Aquarium in the Den! Thanks again.

- Gary

madgalaxy

Small Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Purple said:
how are you cycling the tank ? (if I may ask)
Of course! I am using some water and media from an established tank. I am new to these forums, but not the hobby. I just never, ever in all my years had an issue with temp swings, so I thought I would ask for opinions.

trav_19

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2006
me and my friend got the same tank set ups so we both got the same heaters..and i hate them...we both have the same problems...we have to set our dials to like 70 so that it keeps the tank around 78 80...argh.. i hate it i notice if the tank is at 78 the heater light lights up ....i have it set at 70 so i have no idea why its kicking on....any of you guys noticed your heaters like this?