Water Test Sort Of

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I was supposed to have taken a water sample to the LFS man yesterday, I did but he closes early on Saterday, I had to work and went after I got off, but to late. Anyway I had bought one of these, Quick Dip strips water test things, so I decided I wanted to see what they said. Nitrate 160 - Nitrite 10.0
-Alkalinity 120 - PH 7.4 not to gooddddd

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
when everything is setup, you wil probably need to add buffers to bring up your pH and help with calcium/alkalinity.

any idea what your amonia is at? it looks like your cycle is well under way!!

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I don't know what the Amonia levels are at, the little strips I have don't measure that. I bought this two part B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System, but haven't put any in the tank yet, do you think I should? I was thinking about doing a 20 gallon water change tommrow, I have the RO water made with the salt in it.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
I would wait for the tank to completely cycle before buffering. once the cycle is offer and maybe before adding your CUC, I would start to buffer and make sure your pH is around 8.3.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Your water parameters will swing widely during the cycle. The only thing you need to measure for is ammonia, then nitrite. Do not test with strips as they are too subjective and not really accurate.....

You should use something like kents superbuffer to buffer your water then use the two part to maintain it.....I wouldn't use the two part to raise your ph.......

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Sounds good to me, about Kents. I just bought a small bottle of the test strips, just to give me an idea as to where I stood on the water, The LFS man told me that they would be good for that, and thats about all.