Water Testing Procedure.

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
I was just wondering, When it come to testing water parameters on the day of a water change, is it a good idea to test before and after readings. At the moment, I only test the water before I change it to determine how much water I need to replace. Also, I have my water temp set a 72F and my room temp is only about 62F at the moment. Is it a good idea to add boiling water to bring the temp of the water I'm using for the water change up to 73F. I dont like adding room temp water to my tank as it drops the temp down to the mid sixties almost instantly and I know this is bad for the little guys. Any suggestions or or any of your own strategies would be a big help*thumbsups

Cheers

Jobeak.

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
jefftaylor said:
Ya that is a good idea as long as you are not adding it right into the tank, and you are treating the water before it goes into the tank.
What I generally do is prepare about 15 gal the night before and add whatever treatments are needed ( Tapsafe ). About 1 hour before I am due to do the water change, I add the boiling water to it. After the hour, I check the temp and when its in or around the same as the tank water, I do the water change.

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of boiled fish.:D

Jobeak

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think testing before the water change is the best thing. It might be a good idea to test after the change once or twice, just to make sure there are no problems from your tapwater (such as your tapwater increasing nitrates or ammonia).

Your temperature mixing method sounds fine to me.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree too...just thought I'd point out that the only thing you need to be careful of is the container you boil the water in. I did that to mix up some salt water not too long ago and I think I may have inadvertently grabbed a container that had soap in it previously...and I had some deaths in the following days in the tank that that water went into. I'm not POSTIVE that that was the cause...but its worth pointing out.