Water

Davidson

Small Fish
Jun 13, 2006
Hi,
I am a novice when it comes to Fishtanks, as a matter of fact wheni was younger my family had many tanks salt and fresh. I have recently set up a 36gallon saltwater tank in my office. I have been doing a lot of reading on the nitrogen cycle as well as many many other topics concerning saltwater tanks. One ot the tips i come across is that it is best to use reverse osmosis water, my question is seeing as how my tank os set up at the office, and ther is only a common breakroom with a sink for me to get my water, can i get my RO water from the "Glacier" type machines that reside at the local grocery store? Glacier in particular does state that they use RO to filter their water, but also treat it with UV lights and to different carbon passes. Anyway i hope this makes sense and any help is appriciated. Thanks

Dave

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I use the exact same stuff for my 29. I've tested this water with a TDS meter and the reading is usally around 10, which is a lot better than my tapwater.
If you could find a store that actually sells RO/DI water (either an LFS or a "Water N Ice" type place), you'd be better off with that water.

Davidson

Small Fish
Jun 13, 2006
I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. Seeing as how I used tap water innitially =( i was thinking of doing my water changes with store bought water after the tank has cycled. this first tank will be a fish only tank so we will see how things end up, cross your fingers lol. Thanks again

~~Dave

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
If the tank is in your office and you have one of those drinking water coolers many offices have, you could use that as a convenient top-off source.

Also, if you set up your system with conditioned tap water (as I did) you can expect a diatom bloom (rust coloured algae) any time soon. It's easily remedied though.