wats the hardness/salinity of of R/O

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i noticed that the salinity of drinking water in my frigerator was at 1.020.
and the tap water straight out of my sink is way over 1.030

but is 1.020 safe?

dont have access to a RO unit ATM.
but wats the salinity of a RO unit?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Salt that is formulated for use in making synthetic seawater. Not table salt.

I believe that you probably realize this but some things just don't suprise me any more.

Your tap water and RO water should be 1.0000 unless you are using a water softener which uses salt in the softening process. The hardness or depends on your water source and you should check it as some is very hard and others may not be at all. Personally my well water is extremely high in calcium, unfortunately it is not the right kind.....therefore I filter it with an ro/di filter to remove it only to add it back in by supplements.....go figure

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
No, the salinity is zero, and the SG and density are both 1.000. It's worth getting this distinction right to stop confusion later. Salinity is actually very hard to measure directly, so normally we measure it's density relative to water with a hydrometer, it's refractive index relative to water to water (refractometer) or electrical resistivity (electronic monitor) and plot against a graph for an estaimation of salinity.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree with the Fool. Best to get the terminology and venacular right at the beginning, start as you mean to go. As you found even a small air bubble on the arm of a hydrometer can skew your results dramatically. This is a very important measurement and you want as accurate a reading as possible. There are as many opinions on the sg/density as there are on the methods of measuring it. Personally I use a refractometer as I find it easy and consistent. Again that is my personal preference.