¿¿WC Question??

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
ok so i have been using large piychers for doing my WC's but i have a 55g so that is taking up to 45 min + but i found a big bucket in our garage that has been used for cleaning purpose would i be able to use this bucket for my WC's if i washed it out?? i dont want to use it if any soap stuff will stay in the bucket and hurt my fish...

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Yeah you can use it. Just clean it nicely. give it a very good cleaning with very hot water. It should do fine. I have done the same. I use old buckets from here and there just give them a very good cleaning and they are good to go.

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
ahhh i dont know whose advice to take i need to do a water change but dont know to clean the bucket good and use it or to take an hour to use a picher?? but thanks for the advice maha and panther!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
What I did was. 1st rinced it with hot water then added some dish washer liquid and gave it a good scrubbing all over. After I scrubbed it, I rinced it with very hot water about 8 to 10 times and I have been using them without any problems. Infact I use them for saltwater and after cleaning for freshwater with out any losses or anything like that. Its your choice! Although if you want you could buy a new one. I personally did not want to spend money.

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
MissFishy said:
Sheesh, out with the buckets and in with a water siphon!!! I would suggest getting a "python" for a 55g. It will make your life SO much easier.

Well actually ^ that is the best you could do. Pythons are a little costly but one of the best things in fish keeping. How come i never thought of that. :D

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2006
Superior, WI
burtoncb47 said:
ya i have a siphon it just isnt that long lol and i dont have the money for a python at the moment do you know how much they cost??
I think my local Walmart has the 25 foot Python for around $35... Some of the best fishkeeping money I've ever spent and I don't even have that big of a tank. Yet! ;)

My advice is not to use any water container that has ever had any soap or cleaning compounds in it other than pure ammonia or bleach. I've used gallon ice cream buckets cleaned with a bleach solution but new 5 gallon pails can be had for a couple of bucks and are big enough to speed the process up.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I don't own a python. What I do is siphon the water into my 5 gallon home depot bucket, dump it out. Then fill the bucket with water and water conditioner, then dump that water into the tank (making sure it's the same temperature first!). My bucket was previously used for washing the car...I cleaned it and cleaned it with dish soap and then rinsed rinsed rinsed over and over again until I was sure every last drop of soap was gone from the entire bucket, outside included. If you don't think you can do that, just buy a new $5 bucket. :)

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
using soap with tank equipment is kind of a no-no. not a good idea. a new bucket is cheap enough. go to the dollar store ;) i think it would be in your best interest to save up the $30-40 for a python. you'll save a ton of time with your water changes.