We Have Babies!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, Sam and Lindsey (the bettas) spawned! They spawned on Thursday. Daddy had been busy keeping the eggs in the nest. We (my roommates and I) had to take him out this morning, though, because we had free-swimming fry! They are so cute...

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
We have "Kent Marine ZooPlex" to feed the fry...It says it is "concentrated aquacultured marine zooplankton for planktivorous fish & invertebrates" and that it "may be used as a complete brine shrimp nauplii replacement."

How much would I feed them? It says 5-10ml for 50 gallons...should it be less because they are very small fry right now, and then give them a bit more as they grow? How often do they need to be fed?

And how do I feed it? It is a liquid...do I have to pipet it down to near the bottom and stir it around? The tank doesn't have a filter on it right now, because we didn't want to suck up the fry.

Last edited:

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
First of all, congrats with your fry!!
You probably want to put a sponge filter in the tank.
As for feeding, I haven't treid the zooplex, but I'd say feed as much so that you don't see too much food left over. You don't want to pollute your tank with uneaten food.
Microworms is probably the best baby food to start with.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, we've been using a pipet, and just stirring around what we squirt in. They're a lot more active today at feeding time...they either just realized what the food was or weren't hungry the first day.

They seem to like to float or lay around a lot...they are so cute!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Congrats,

It is not unusual for it to take 2 or 3 days before fry find food. Keep your water levels low so the food does not spread out too much.

I would still suggest using some 'live' food, BBS is probably the best source for the fry at this time, and certainly microworms.

Feed small quantities, about 3 times a day for the next 3 months. Avoid over-feeding, your fry could get swimbladder (belly sliders) fairly easily at this stage in their lives.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The tank is around 2/3 full...I think that we need to start just dripping the food around the top, rather than squirting it in and stirring it around. Most of the babies are floating near the top now.

We were only doing twice a day, but we can up feedings to 3 times a day...thanks!

Do I need to be trying to be doing water changes, or not for a few weeks?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
CAPS,

Skip the water changes for the first month... use an airline siphon to suck-up small amounts of rotten food/bodies on the bottom, but just top-up water, don't add to quickly or the fish will have to spend too much time searching for food. Make small 10% water changes afterwards.

Betta fry tanks have almost no bio-load issues, unless you overfeed.

Basically, avoid making changes to water conditions. The less you mess with it the better.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Okay, thanks. I have a little turkey baster that I can use to suck stuff off the bottom. How can you tell if a baby on the bottom is dead...does it just not move if you try to suck it up? Or are all the live babies at the top by now, so almost all the ones on the bottom are dead?

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
Well, i guess by this time now, you should be able to tell whether a fry is dead or not :)
If not, just use the baster to move near it to create a bit of current and see if it'd move. The dead one will just 'float' with the current.

It takes time to learn the skill for not sucking up live babies. I've tried many different ways, but the best way I found now is use a thicker tubing to vacuum the bottom.
Like Iggy says, try to avoid doing anything for the first few weeks. After that, the fry should get bigger and smarter, and they would know where to hide when you vacuum the tank.
Having said so, even now I still suck up fry once in a while. That's why i prefer having a wider tubing, so the fry can easily be sucked up to the bucket. (rather than getting stuck in the tube and died). Then, I'd just put the poor fry back into the tank from the bucket. THey may feel a little dizzy... but they seem ok afterwards.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah, now the live ones are quite obvious. They are growing...now we can actually see the little pectorial (sp?) fins. They are still really small and cute.

Anyone know a good way to keep them warm for a 2-2.5 hour car trip? Should I just wrap a towel or blanket around the tank?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, I kind of have to go home over Thanksgiving break...I think they'd do better to have ~5 hours in a car than to be left alone in the dark with no food for 5 days...

I also think that they are too small to be moved, but it's better than starving them to death. The car will be heated, at least.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Everyone seemed to make the trip fine...the tank didn't cool off much at all, maybe 2 degrees. I think that I have 12-30, but I'm not real sure. Definately at least 12, though.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They have grown to the point that you can see dorsal fins on some of them. There is a massive size difference between the biggest and the smallest. I can't wait to see what colors we have!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I don't think we can get pictures, as they are about 3/4ths of a centimeter right now, and we don't have a really good camera. We'll take some when they're a bit bigger, though.