Well back in the game after 18years and got a few q

Jul 12, 2007
Melbourne Australia
Hi all,

I am currently operating a custom made tank (in sig.). All fish are very happy, brightly coloured and loving life (am removing the goldfish in a couple of weeks tho.

it has 1 6,500K light and 1 10,000K for a total wattage output of 36Watts.
It currently has an intank filter, with just mesh and charcoal..

I am considering removing the charcol in order for noodles/ rock stuff in order to promote the biological part of the filtration ( a new concept to me). I would like to get my slow growing plants to grow correctly and have recently added plant food to the tank, admit it has made the tank slightly misty but it is clearing up..

Would the above be a bad idea, what would be the best thing to do for this?

ps will post pick later today of my tank

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
California
You should get something called a biochemical sponge filter in addition to your activated carbon filter system.

A bio-sponge is EASY TO USE! It's a little circular sponge that sits on the bottom of your tank hooked up to an air pump. The way it works is the air pump is supplying an excess of oxygen through the center of the sponge where it will allow your good bacteria to flourish UNDISTURBED (Good bacteria being Nitrifying bacteria essential for ammonia oxidation, then to convert Nitrite which is very harmful into Nitrate which isn't harmful... well... in small quantities it isn't)
Anyhow, the problem with having only an activated carbon filter is the filter media should be changed every month or so (even though some people say the activated carbon only works for the first 2 to 4 hours it's put in and thats all its good for or something) now... when you change that filter media you'll notice some brownish goupy stuff on it sometimes and go "ewwww what the hell is that!?" Well THAT is your bacteria trying to find some place to do their business and live undisturbed. Through vacuuming your gravel and changing your carbon filter you can cause your bacteria to slightly over grow to adapt to the change OR some might die off and create a not so pretty white cloud in your tank.

Setting up such a simple little device in my tanks has been a blessing... It's so simple you just need an air pump, an air tube, and the sponge which is like 7 or 8 dollars at the pet store.

BTW having a charcoal filter will not inhibit the biological filtration system from establishing. A fast way to cycle your tank which a lot of people aren't able to do unless you have a friend with an established healthy fish tank is to put a few lbs of gravel from an Established tank and that will introduce some of the bacteria you will need.

Sorry this is so long winded! Any questions? lol.
Well... that's my advice. ;-) Good luck!

I found a very nice fish breeder locally and got 5 lbs of good bacteria harboring fantastical gravel for free :) I added it to my 55 gallon and it cycled the tank in a week and a half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 12, 2007
Melbourne Australia
cool,

I have replaced the charcoal with aqua one stuff for biological bacteria..

MY idea is to get a 500L/hour canister filter for this tank and get rid of the internal filter. this way i can get a uv light to use for 2 hours at most a day (possibly) but also to use for sucking the crap out of the tank onto the mechanical filter once a month (dont worry i will be replacing the 15~20% of the water per fortnight.)

At present i am treating my tank for white spot... boohoo.. i got it from my local fish store who has had a minor outbreak on 3 tanks (which they have quarenteed). so thats happening at the moment..

My plan is have no bubbles during the day but bubbles at night (or is this bad idea) my plants have started getting green again (woohooo).

Anyway here is a pic of my tank, pic taken before i bought my new lights.*SUNSMILE* :cool: *BOUNCINGS

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
wow an 18 year hiatus?! glad you found your way back to the hobby! :) when do you think you'll start work on the big tank??? i'm trying to convince my buddy who is moving to give me his 135gal tank which would be so sweet.

i just use filter floss in my HOB filter; in my canister i just use a series of filter sponges. you dont really need anything else like charcol, etc except like fuzz said, to remove meds.

Jul 12, 2007
Melbourne Australia
wow an 18 year hiatus?! glad you found your way back to the hobby! :) when do you think you'll start work on the big tank??? i'm trying to convince my buddy who is moving to give me his 135gal tank which would be so sweet.

i just use filter floss in my HOB filter; in my canister i just use a series of filter sponges. you dont really need anything else like charcol, etc except like fuzz said, to remove meds.
From my understanding putting noodles/ceramic parts,m allows the good bacteria to grow, so thats what i did, bye bye charcoal and hellow ceramic rock...)

its fun (got the bug again been reading a hell of a lot on line...).

Well since my house is suspened off the ground (the whole house is 2 ft off the ground), i first need to get the floor reinforced to hold the weight, that big tank equates to 179.53g.. a lot of weight (around 690kg, hey im metric here..) so thats the big project first.

ps nice getting a tank for free,

my setup costs are going to be in aus dollars, fish = unknown, decor =unknown (kids will help design areas of tank,) , plants = unknown (i get these for free)

Tank,stand,hood = $ 950.00
5 bags of gravel $34.90 each = $ 174.50
3 200Watt heaters $24.90 each = $ 74.90
1 1200l/hour can filt = $ 229.98
$ 1429.00

Last edited: