We'll leave the Light on for ya??!!

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Ok I have another seemingly silly question*twirlysmi When should I leave the light on on my 75g tank? I am not home all day, I'm a work. I like the light on in the evening when I am home and the kids like it as a nightlight at night, and I have been leaving it off during the day. So should I have it off or can I leave it on? How much is too much? Does it even matter??

I took a few more pics with my new sticky background. That was sooooooo easy to put on!

Attachments

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Fish need sleep just like mamals do, so yes it does matter. Any where from 6-8 is pretty average for non planted tanks. To much light and not only is it bad for the fish's health, but will most likley lead to an algae farm as well.

:eek: Ya know I used to be ONE OF THE BEST Algae farmers in these here parts of the country....But with everything else ..... All good things must come to an end:p .....Like Orion said...... yer critters need to sleep sometime. *GOLDFISH*

I learned the hard way....I would tear my tank apart every week and clean the damn plants and rocks..... drove me up the wall.:( .. Now my lights are only on about 6 hours max in the evening.

SPIKE88

Medium Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Ohio
In my no planted tanks I leave the lights on for about eight hours a day. My lights are on in the evening so I can enjoy the tank, but during the I have all of my blinds closed and the lights in the house off to make the room as dark as possible. In my planted tanks the lights are on 10-12 hours a day.

Jan 26, 2006
you can buyanalogue timers which you set by pushing down little notches which signify every fifteen minutes. you stick it in the mains then your light into that. they're really cheap and if your out you dont have to worry, i have four for my reptile tanks(getting an aquarium) and they're great.