well water

Apr 27, 2009
ok i know that city water is harmful for fish but what about well water. and ive heard of the python but if that hooks up to the faucet and you have city water wouldnt you harm your fish. any input would be helpfull. im fixin to setup my tank ahd i have well water thats why im askin

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Hi there :)

On the topic of well water, it would depend on what is in your specific well. I know my well gives us a lot os sulfur and iron both, making plant growing a little difficult. In all likely-hood, if you can drink it your fish will be fine. It would be wise to check it for the three dangerous nitrogen compounds (nitrate, nitrite and ammonia) just to be sure. Also if you use a water softener it might be a good idea to use half water from you tap and half from a hose or other source that is not softened.

City water through a python, if left untreated for chlorine or chloramine, would harm your fish, yes. However as long as you treat the tank for the amount of water you are adding either before or at the same time you add it, the short exposure to the chlorine/chloramine would do negligible damage and is not of much concern.

Hope that helps :)

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I don't think it was too much of a hijack- no worries.

Well fed houses generally have, in my experience, just as much pressure if not more than city water. It all depends on how the plumbing and everything is set up in the houses that makes the difference.

However I do not use a python, so I am unsure as to how my pressure would work with that.

As for Prime water conditioner, I highly recommend it as well- seems expensive to buy but it is by far the cheapest option I have cmoe across in the long run.