Well...we have crabs!!!!

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
Lol just kidding.. we do have saltwater crabs,15 to be exact and 10 snails to help with the algae that seems to coming our way, darn... but with the research I've been doing it is normal. Anyway just wanted to show a few pics of the rock and sand i was talking about for 150.00 and in the process i got an 8 watt uv filter with pump for 50.00 and the lfs only had a few skimmers and ended up with the new marineland pro. Still dealing with bubbles in tank from skimmer, but wraped the pump in sump with a filter like media and no more bubbles. According to marineland the bubbles will go away after break-in-period 5 days. So hopefully then no more bubbles. We also put in one joralia 1200 gph turbo pump in for flow. Been running tank now for 6 weeks with nothing and put rocks in a week ago. Any way tell me what u think? And any input would be nice.*GOLDFISH*

Attachments

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
Yes, it is.

My sump still has bioballs "shotgun wadding". :D
Still working on a refug filter and moving sump and a separate refug. with thru wall plumbing still in process. Live in a tri-level where I can put everything on other side of wall. Still a work in process. But, just trying to bring a little green to help. Is this a bad idea??? If so, I can remove it. was cheap. :eek:* Just taking what I have been researching and trying to do right. Would a separate sump and refug be a bad thing???

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
A seperate sump and refug is a good thing because you'll want the refug running with a lot lower flow then what will probably be going through the sump. Man I wish I could have everything on the other side of the wall. I'd have a huge sump ;)

Chaeto is ok in the main tank compared to nuisance macros like some of Caulerpas that will attach to all the rocks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would still move it to the sump and remove those bioballs..... :)

If your plan is to have a full blown reef you may rethink the uv filter as it isn't necessary. Was your tank fully cycled when you added the crabs? Please monitor your parameters and be prepared to do water changes if not. Remember to add empty shells for the crabs as they like to move from one shell to another and if there are no empties available they will start shell jacking each other.

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
yes the tank was cycled for 6 weeks. Whats wrong with the uv filter? And the crabs seem to be doing fine. I was looking at another site and they r saying to remove the rocks and "bake them in the sun" what the? On this site it says its normall to have the algae while the tank matures. And another thing i have a marineland pro skimmer that seems to putting alot of bubbles in the sump and the manual says its normal for 5 or so days during break-in. Does that sound rite? I currently have the pump surrounded with some white filter media that blocks them for the most part about 95%.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
The skimmer will get a slime coating inside that will reduce the bubbles after a week or twoof running so that's true about the break in.

UV filter on a reef will kill the good as well as the bad. You would not run it all the time only when you are trying to kill free swimming ich parasites and the like. It's good for a fish only tank but the reef tank you can get cleaner shrimp that will pick the parasites off the fish if they had them.

You'll kill your live rock if you take it out and bake it in the sun. I've done that for plastic plants and plastic rocks in my freshwater tanks if I had algae get out of control. You never would want to do that with live rock in a saltwater tank. As your cycle is ending you'll start to get brown diatoms growing all over the substrate, rocks, glass, etc. Those will go away within a few weeks and is a sign the cycle is about complete. There's other types of nasty algae such as hair algae, red slime algae (cyano bacteria reallY), that are caused by poor water quality. Coraline algae growing on things is a sign of a maturing tank and is a good thing.

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
I now have the brown stuff hence the snails and crabs. They are deff. doing there job and where they have cleaned is white! Alot of the rock had the coraline on it and is now mosty brown stuff on top. Nothing is dead yet still see a clam opening and a few feather dusters out so the only thing I an woried about is a high ph. I still need to do some testing tonite and check again but 2 days ago it was high...

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
Well my test says purple...any ideas I got some kents dkh super buffer but I think it's for keeping it good or raising it so I stoped using that for now.