What about these fish?

Jul 12, 2005
I have just added a small/medium white stripe maroon clown to my uncycled 100G and have 5 Green Chromis coming on Friday. No live rock yet but will SLOWLY add. Looking through the fish profiles, the following fish caught my eye. Comments on any would be appreicated.

Scribbled Rabbitfish
Sailfin Tang (140G min?)
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Dog Faced Puffer
Half Black Angel
Koran Angel
Lionfish

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Scribbled rabbit - nice )- needs mucho live rock
Sailfin tang - get huge, grow quite quickly )-more live rock
Kole tang - nice, I have one, can be delicate )-definitely more live rock
DFP - no experience, but notoriously not invert friendly.
Half black angel - hardy, not my first choice as somewhat dull to look at - why not coral beauty, eibliis, tibicen? - more live rock good
Koran angel - big
Lionfish - which one? I prefer the smaller to trad. Pterois volitans

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well what Wayne said, a lot of live rock

Scribble Rabbit-needs a lot of macro algaes
Sailfin Tang-will eventually outgrow your tank-180g for adult size
Kole Tang-my opinion a hardy surgeon fish
DFP-probably eat your inverts, including some of your corals
Half-Black-Pygmy angel that may nip on corals
Koran Angel-Max size in captivity is a 12inches, definatly needs live rock, one of the hardy large angels
Lionfish-everything but the dwarfs will probably eat the chromis.

Jul 12, 2005
I think I'm probably more interested in the dwarf lionfish. I don't think I am creating a reef/coral tank. Will slowly build live rock around dead coral. Do lionfish need liverock?

Glad to hear there is nothing too wrong with my fishy choices. Thanks for the help :)

Jul 12, 2005
Thankyou S. Reef

I've just added 2 juvenille convict (engineer) gobys. There is one more at the LFS which I might add tomorrow if these guys settle well tonight. They seem to have everything going for them as a species and are hardy enough to safely help cycle the tank. Seems the only downside is their keeness to rearrange the decr of the tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You are stocking very, very fast. I would not buy anymore fish - it is only the fact you're playing with 100 gallons of water that has kept you out of trouble so far as ammonia has not reached critical values.
You will be so much better off buying some live rock, even only 5 pounds than any more fish. If you try to avoid cycling this tank like a freshawater tank you are likely to be so much more successful.

Jul 12, 2005
The gobys are very small, and as far as I'm aware, VERY hardy to the point of often being the last ones left if water quality is bad. The green chromis coming should also be hardy and like you said, I am playing with 100 gallons. I did figure that i used 4 fish to cycle my 30G FW tank, and so a larger tank can handly a larger number of hardy fish to ride the cycle. Once the chromis are in, no more fish will be added untill everything reads minimal and live rock willl follow.....slowly. I will leave the 3rd convict down the LFS.