WHAT about this?

Aug 3, 2006
Ok I also Have a 2.5 gallon tank, Can I put one fish in there (goldfish), without a aerator of filter, I have heard that goldfish can live without a aerator. On my other forum (my kinda new 10 gallon tank) someone suggested taking the fish back to the store, like Petco? And if so, what would you suggest carrying them in?

Last edited:

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
a gold fish is not suited for anything less than 20gal. with heavy filtration, they can live in a 2.5 with no filtration in the same manner hat you can live in a tiny closet with no toiletry. the rule for oldfish is 2ogal for the first then 10 gal for every extra ones. you COULD put a betta in there if you have a small filter and heater, but i wouldnt put a betta in anything smaller than a 5gal.

if you wish to return hey fish you purchased i would bring them together in a 5 gal bucket, and if it is a long journey then a battery powered air pump and airstone. also dont feed them for 24 hours before so that the water will stay as clean as possible.

cheers

-Java

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I think a betta would be just fine in there, get a good filter and I think 2 platties would be OK as long as you keep up on water changes, live plants would help as well. Shrimp is a great idea, maybe an ADF, 2 male guppies, 1-2 Otos, something like that. Obviously not all of them, but any 1 of those should be OK. I would think if you went with live plants, you could do a few cherry shrimp and 1-2 ottos OR the shrimp and 1-2 male guppies/platties and be just fine with regular water changes and a decent filter. That's what I'd do with it anyway if not a betta.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
try to get dwarf platties though...my platties have grown and there gettin big...2.5 might be to small for a full grown female platy :p , so i would just get dwarfs (if u can find some...and u want platys)

romeoharvey

Medium Fish
Jun 20, 2005
Southeastern Michigan
Wouldn't suggest keeping the goldie.

As for returning a fish, do you still have the bag the pet store gave you the fish in? I wouldn't put fish into a bucket, just because of the way I drive. Too much a chance of them hitting their bodies on the side and dying. If you drive better, go with the bucket, making sure you have a net or lid over it, so the fish won't get scared and jump.