What anemone is this?

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Heteractis Crispa

Hi All,

I'm rather new to reef keeping, Can anyone help me to identify what anemone is this? Its green tips is only visible when light is turned on.

Thanks.

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
this is ridiculous....how can you buy stock and not know what it is? Do you know anything about its living requirements? how big it gets? anything...this is very irresponsible reef keeping and this is how the hobby gets a bad name...i sincerely hope you start researching more extensively your purchases

that said, i have no idea what you have there and i do hope somebody can help you out so you know what you have gotten involved in

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Well I asked the LFS owner whether would my system be able to support it, and apparently I can keep it. I would not buy something that I can't keep. Of course, providing that the store owner is telling me the truth.

Its just that I don't know what is it called (common name and scientific name). That particular LFS doesn't label with "proper names", as people here are not so well versed in English especially in the area of nomenclature. And even though they did, it will very be very likely that it will differ from the "mainstream terminology" that you see in the internet. Basically it is only possible for me to match their appearance if I can find them on the net to identify them. and unfortunately I can't.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Go to wetwebmedia.com, and dig round till you fing anemones under marine - non vertebrate life (1?).
What light do you have - one thing is likely, with that sort of colouring if you don't have metal halides it's done for. I also hope that you have pretty ( very) good water conditions, and bear in mind that anemones often make very poor reef inhabitants as they tend to attack and kill corals.
Bet your lfs didn't tell you that!

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i must confer with 79 camaro,if you can't find out don't bring it home.anemones live too long in the wild to bring in an unnamed speices.it's simply irresponsible.but that's mostly to blame on the lfs.as with all marine life,scientific nomeclature is not a perk but a must.if you can't get proper names don't buy it's that simple.the cost is just to high to risk it.now on to the idetification.as far as io can tell,it's not any of the anemones that are commonly sold for aquariums.personaly it kinda looks like a coral of sorts,but i'm not the marine biologist around here either so don't take my word for it.you mention that people don't speak english very well where your at.where might that be prey tell?perhaps one of us is in your area of the world and we could direct you to some better resources.at any rate for now treat your new creature like a coral needing medum to high light,try targe feedings of marine snow,minced clams,cyclops,and baby brine shrimp enriched with a marine food supplement like selecon14 or kent marine zoe.

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for your inputs...

I've tried wet web media and I can't find a picture that corespond to that.

Don't worry I do know that anemone are not to be kept with corals or anemone that is not of its species. Btw mine tank has no corals or other anemones :), but yea you are right they didn't tell me about this :p.

I'm living in Singapore. I wouldn't say I know a lot about shops selling marine fish here, but I dare to that say it is rare for them to display the scientific name of each individual living things they sell, especially the corals and anemones. I agree with you that scientific name is a must.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Dyed Heteroactis crispa I think, but almost certainly dyed. Look at wetwebmedia again, under dyed anemones. It's hard to the tentacle tips in that photo.
Commonly 'sourced' out of ..... singapore

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Those tips look very suspicious to me - that's why I think dyed. I couldn't figure out if the body colour is really that, or if it's the lighting.

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
the body is light tan colour when it contracts, when it is fully inflated it is translucent off white. the picture shows when it contracts.

with the light off the tips is opaque white, when the light on (esp actinic tube) it fluorest light green slightly.

Last edited:

KennethT

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
Looks like my Sebae Anemone. I have one in my 20L with a pink skunk hosting it. I also have a Haitian Pink Tip and Rock Flower anemone in the same tank along with corals. None bother each other. The Sebae stas on the sand, the Haitian is on a rock on the side, and teh rock flower moves from a rock to the sand and back. As long as you allow space, they won't move around much. My Sebae is a Heteractis Malu....it's yellow/white with purple tips. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into teh pot. Also, I have 284W of Power Compact lighting and everything is doing great, even my Clam.