What are the essential minereals or elments need for corals to grow

Apr 11, 2006
Ok, I have been to the pet store asking almost every associate I seen for their opinion about what kind of minereals or elements I need for coral to grow and flourish. Each one of them seem to have their own different story. Due to my mistake and diaster recenlty, I am now on a low budget and want to be cost effective because these minereals or elments for corals is quite expensive. I know for a fact that corals need cacluim and food which I already bought some, but I don't know if that will be enough from my coral to grow and expand. All I have is just zoanthids, yellow ployps, and some star ployps, but plan to add more in the future. If somebody could point out a bottle that contain the majority of the essentail element neccessary for coral growth(if any), I would grealty appreciate it.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Your salt mix should contain most of the trace eliments needed when you do your regular water changes. If you want to add others make sure you have test kits to be sure your not over dosing the tank; a few others you could add are Calcium, Iodine, Strontium or there are specially formulated mixtures out there that have most of the needed stuff... but again don't dose the tank with something unless you can test the levels!!!

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
if you plan to add LPS like bubble, open brain, donut corals then you may need some weekly feeding. Mysid shrimp, plankton and high protein frozen food can be placed on their tentacles..it'll stick there, then the coral will open his mouth(s), burp and thank you. ;)
For now you don't need anything. Yellow polyps are photo. They don't need no food. Star polyps thrive when your calcium levels are good ( 400-450 ) and yellow polyps aren't affected when your Ca is low.
BTW there's a diff between food and minerals...and unless you already had those corals you want, i think it's useless to get a product without knowing what invert you want.
But ok...you want a magic all in one good product : http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/ReefPlus.html
Great for filter feeders. Do keep in the fridge.
Also http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/ReefTrace.html but never tested the last one.
I tested a lot of different high protein foods...and sadly it only helped to raise phosphates.