what chiclids to get

Feb 13, 2007
i have a some past experiance with chiclids in a 29 gal tank. i am looking into a 55gal soon and i dont know what to do with it. i would like a nice amount of fish but i dont know what . I would like a jack dempsy a convict and what other will be compatable, how many fish can i have in a tank this size, or is this even possable. thanks...

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I think with a 55 gal, you'll be pretty limited with the SA cichlid choice, expecially the excessively aggressive specises you like. It can be done, but you would have to be very careful about stocking it.

If you want to stay with SA (which is kinda my thing too, if you didn't notice LOL) I would have to suggest an Oscar. He'd have to be the only fish in the tank, or maybe some dithers at most, but they are really awesome fish.

If you'd rather have more than one fish, you should look into the medium-small, more peaceful cichlids like Acuras and even Rams or Apistos.

Another option would be to go with African cichlids, they are aggressive, but most stay small enough that, with enough territory, you can keep a good number in a 55gal. The africans (expecially Mbunas) seem to be quite popular for their beautiful coloring and great personalities. (although I still prefer SA cichlids :p )

Feb 13, 2007
ya i dont know to much about the diffrent types thats why i am here to learn but i like the aggresive ones. it is kind of more of my style and mentality. thanks

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Well if you want aggressive, I'd go with Africans over SA simply because the really aggressive SA would be pretty limited in a 55gal. Here are a few ideas for you to think about. (just basic ideas, feel free to change them around to make what you really want)

1 Jack Dempsey (Electric Blue if you are willing to spend that much, big differance)
3 Fire Mouths
2 Convicts
1 Medium Pleco (6-10")
and some dither fish (feeders that can somewhat outrun the big guys and distract them from fighting, danios are a good choice)

or you could go with Africans:
Elmers Aquarium Community Tank 10 Malawi Cichlids

Let me know if neither of these are what you are looking for and I will help you find something closer to what you are looking for.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
The EBJD's are supposed to be a little more docile (not the case with mine, he terrorizez my oscars who are bigger than he is) and they stay a little smaller than the normal JD's.