what cichlids would go with yellow labs?

Joe21

New Fish
Jun 27, 2011
setting up a 75 g tank (3 foot long x 2 foot high x 2 foot wide) i want to get yellow labs (a pair if possible) just wondering what other cichlids would go well with them? any help would be great :)

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I'd go with a few different Mbuna species (particularly other Labidochromis species). These fish come from a very rocky area, and do best when they have lots of rocks with lots of caves to hide in (the more hiding places they have, the more comfortable they'll feel, and the more you'll see them).

Mbuna in particular do well when they're a little overcrowded (I'd shoot for a minimum of 12 adults in a 75). It helps spread aggression around and prevents any one fish from getting beaten up too badly. Bear in mind though, that an overcrowded tank means you'll need to be right on top of your maintenance, as it will be a lot less forgiving of a forgotten water change.

Joe21

New Fish
Jun 27, 2011
Should i get pairs? if not males or females?

I'd go with a few different Mbuna species (particularly other Labidochromis species). These fish come from a very rocky area, and do best when they have lots of rocks with lots of caves to hide in (the more hiding places they have, the more comfortable they'll feel, and the more you'll see them).

Mbuna in particular do well when they're a little overcrowded (I'd shoot for a minimum of 12 adults in a 75). It helps spread aggression around and prevents any one fish from getting beaten up too badly. Bear in mind though, that an overcrowded tank means you'll need to be right on top of your maintenance, as it will be a lot less forgiving of a forgotten water change.
any tips on what to use as hiding places? kinda on a budget so i cant really buy ocean rocks or anything expensive like that

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have used the pvc couplers (the ones for larger plasitc pipe). I have two or three in my 75G still. Anything from 2-4" works well. I get straight, 90 degree, and 45 Degree. I have even used some scrap 10 inch-ish long pvc pipe from a plumbing project. Many places even have them black pvc for the drain system in a house. It does not look as good as rock but the fish didn't seem to care at all.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Hi there, wow MFT has a new look...

Ummm Labs are the wimpy kids on the African playground.... If you are shopping at a chain store you are likely seeing the following African varieties;
Yellow Labs
Kenyi (blue with black bars)
Zebras ("red" actually orange, blue, OB (speckled), pearl, and some varities that occur when the blue red and white are crossed, blueberries, calico etc)
Bumble bees (look just like their names)
Acei
Jewels (red or green)

Ok so petsmart, petco, pet suplies etc tend to have these varieties all the time. The only one that is a decent match for the lab is the Acei.

The others will kill or stunt your labs in short order. Yellow labs are also significantly more timmid then others in the labotropheous family.

If you are going labs I would mix with Haps and Peacocks. Or short finned tetras and barbs.

If you are trying to scape your tank use pea rock for substrate (2.99/bag 1-2 bags will do a 75gal tank) and Slate from home-depot. Along with terracotta pots. Get a piece of coarse sand paper and make sure all rough edges are sufficently filed down. I like to break holes in my pots so they look like houses. I break the slate up and make pillars then do a stack in the tank.

As far as numbers go Africans don't pair up, so really any kind of numbers you like will work just keep in mind the threshold for the tank. Africans will crossbreed and there is no market for half breed fish so if you end up with fry just leave them in the tank.