What comes first Clown or Anemone ?

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
Is there any particular order in which one should add fish.....for those who know, I dont have any fish yet ??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
First of all, if you aren't aware, you don't need an anemone for a clown. That said, the anemone will likely come second as your tank needs at least six months to stabilize and mature before being added. They require some very specific conditions to survive long term (years, not months) so make sure you know what you are getting involved in when you decide to purchase an anemone.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
if you want to wait until your tank is old enough for an anenome then you could research the kind you want...then at the lfs you can find a clown already hosting one.

depending on tank size though i wouldnt recommend even getting an anenome. clowns have been known to host many different types of corals. mine hosts yellow zoos..

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if you dont have any fish yet im guna assume the tank is still pretty young... in that case you wanna get the clown first...btw how old is the tank , what size ect.. the more info u give us about yur tank the more we can help ;)

MrBungle

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
NY, on an island...
if I remember from the chat its a 24g aquapod, about a week old. jrella, I know it can be tempting walking into aquarium adventure and seeing the cheap anemones lol. When I went with my non fish savvy friend he goes, "what about this thing? its cheap!".........no.

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
Only a week, Im going crazy staring at just rock, although i've noticed a lil growth looks kinda like the dust u'd find on a window sill, gray and fluffy.....i hope thats not bad, does anyone know????? I know an anemone is probably not in the cards, I do have a friend who has one in a 12g though. I check my levels all the time and I havent seen any change, no spike, not a thing....is this normal????

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
I have the API saltwater test kit, I also purchased a seperate API ammonia test kit, Ammonia has been testing 0, nitrite 0, nitrate .05, ph is 8.0, I have a hydrometer but after hearing some of the blogs about that I bought my water in to be tested and its reading a lil high, but i'm thinking that might just come down in the next week or so on its own, when i purchased the set up (24g) the guy told me to add the whole box of salt which was for 25g, so that explains the higher salt. I plan on starting with some damsels on the 17th do u think i'll be okay ???

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well what you really need to do is decide what type of tank you intend in the long run....ie....reef or fish only with live rock (fowlr) If you are aiming for a community type reef tank....re-think adding damsels as they will become extremely territorial and will hound anything you add after them.....they will also become almost impossible to remove from your tank without tearing your tank down. If you are aiming for a community tank add the least agressive fish first and the most agressive fish last.....remember that a clownfish is a member of the damsel family and can be somewhat territorial. I would start with a type of gobie or such first.

Also, you didn't say what you jump started your cycle with? did you cycle with just the live rock? if so you may not see much of a cycle....where as if you didn't add an ammonia source to start with you won't really go through a cycle and once you add your fish you will see a cycle.....soooo be prepared to add your fish slowly so as not to create mini cycles everytime you increase the bioload.....hope this helps!