What did I do wrong?

Sep 2, 2006
ND
I tested my water to make sure everything was cool for adding a few pygmy cory cats to the tank last night and this is what I got.

Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 30 ppm:eek:

I had this thing cycled in the 5 gal! I must have done something terribly wrong while moving from home to home and then transferring rock and filter to the 10 gal. I never let the gravel or filter get dry and I floated the filter media in the few inches of tank water that I left in during the move. I wonder if I may have missed "feeding" the tank for a day?

I am really upset because now my betta has to suffer through a tank cycle, and I must now delve deep into my well of patience before adding any new fish to the tank.

I am keeping a close eye on the ammonia levels now. If they go much higher, it will be time for a water change:(

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Pretty sure there is no test kit that will read 30ppm of ammonia, most only go up to 8 or so. I would re-do your test...or figure out that you accidentally swapped tests. If it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 30ppm nitrates that would sound pretty normal. If you get much over 1ppm of ammonia you need to do a water change.

Sep 2, 2006
ND
OK, let me start over.

I did a fishless cycle in a 5 gallon tank. I decided that I wanted to use a ten gallon tank. I moved the gravel and filter media from the 5 to the ten. I never let anything get dry. I put a betta in the 10 gallon tank. 10 days later, I test the water and get numbers that imply that I never cycled the tank prior to putting the betta in.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
the only thing that should matter with the cycle is that you moved the filter over to the new tank right? Without changing the filter media....

Again I'd suggest re-doing your tests.

Sep 2, 2006
ND
oops, I left out the dicimel point.

I tested again, and the results were the same.

Ammonia 3.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

If there is no change tomorrow, I will do at least a partial water change.

I think I may have figured out where I messed up. I moved the filter (with media) and gravel from the 5 gallon tank to the ten gallon. I then filled the tank with UNTREATED tap water. Only after filling the tank and starting the pump, did I add water conditioner. So, all of my nice bacteria were probably killed by the chlorimine in the water. Then, when I added the conditioner, the chlorimine is converted into Ammonia.

Talk about screwing up by the numbers!

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I don't know how quickly chlorine kills the bacteria, I think it's like 30 mins cuz the back of clorox bottles says to spray counter and let sit for 30 mins to disinfect... Anyway, I wouldn't wait to do the water change. You should do multiple water changes a day if necessary to get the ammonia down. Also, I'd add a plant to help with the cycle as well.

Sep 2, 2006
ND
Water change done.

Ammonia 0.5 (LFS assures me that some is inevitable w/treatment)
Nitrites 0.0
Nitrates 0.0

Betta alive and doing well despite my ineptitude.
I have really been trying to do everything right. I don't over feed. I make it a point to remove any un-eaten pellets before they sink, or get sucked into the filter. And, I have the tank UNDER stocked with just one fish. I don't really understand how this tank has gotten so out of whack. I thought that having just one fish in the 10 gallon would buy me some wiggle room. Now I wonder if I will ever bother putting any other fish in with the betta.

I will check the water again tomorrow after work. If the ammonia keeps going up with no signs of any nitrites, what can I do? It just seems like this tank is now refusing to cycle. I had already started seeing some nitrites by now when I did the fishless cycle.

Also, Sannd, you suggested putting a plant in to "help" the cycle. I haven't heard of that. What plant would you suggest? How would it help?

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm not sure about ammonia being inevitable...DCWASA adds chloramine to our water supply and never have even a trace of ammonia in my tanks as little as an hour after a water change.

The plants will use the ammonia and nitrates as a food source. I have 'black' thumbs as they say but I'm able to keep java ferns and various swords alive with minimum care (ie, i don't prune and rarely use ferts)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
With only a betta in that tank I'd be surprised if it didn't take a long time for nitrates to show up. IF you truly cycled it before (ammonia and nitrite peaked and dropped to 0) then I dont think you will have an issue if you want to add more fish (aside from the inevitable fish personality conflicts). If you want to be on the safe side you could just wait a few weeks, check your water parameters every few days and keep an eye out for nitrates. Feel free to report back here and get people's takes on whats going on.

Your lfs person is off their rocker, ammonia is not inevitable. They are right if you check it right away after dechlorinating and doing a water changes you may have some...but check it a short while after the change and like Sannd said it should be gone. In an established, not over stocked, healthy tank you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Anything else indicates an issue.

channy

New Fish
Oct 4, 2006
what kind of fish

what kind of fish can i buy to put in a 20 gallon thad doesn't will grow to much, i have a silver shark and a catfish that by the way is sick, and everybody says that they are going to grow too much, i want some kind of fish that grow but just a little, enough to keep them in this 29 gallon tank, thanks