What do I need?

Jan 26, 2009
Alright, I just bought a 46 gallon bow front tank and I am going to make it a saltwater tank. What is the best filter for it? What light should I get if I just want a few soft corals? Best substrate?, etc. Any advice would be great

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Any advice would be great
Start by reading the stickies. When you decide to buy something, buy the best you can afford, i.e. lights, protein skimmer. That way, you won't kick yourself later when you find out what you have needs to be upgraded. Also, by doing this, you avoid having a basement full of useless fishtank crap that nobody else wants ;)

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
First and foremost you will need live rock...roughly a pound per gallon. A good HOB skimmer is also recommended...lighting you could go T5 or CFs all depends on how much you want to spend

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
on the whole what u need subject I kinda have a question. I been looking at a 125 gallon tank that I want to do as a big cichlid tank and convert my 55 to a salt water. now I know it's not cheap but I"m wondering for myself how much it would cost to convert a 55 to saltwater considering all I have is only the tank.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
i would look on craigslist and local forums for used equipment or people taking set ups down you can get a lot for this stuff for cheaper