What do you all think?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I feel like the pincushoin would dominate the tank in size. Ive seen some at my lfs show tank and they were very prominent and space demanding (and this was a 500+ gallon tank) but am not 100% on the size requirments but even if the minimum was listed at a 55 or so I wouldnt want to have one in it.

They are good at letting you know how your water quality is being that theyll start loosing spins in inadequite water (not that I advocate using it as a test kit just saying lol)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
they are also destructive and knock over corals and any rocks that are not properly secured, that being said, I have a pencil urchin, and I like him alot, and have not had any problems with him. From my experience working at LFS, I always used to stab myself on pincushion urchins and spiny urchins when cleaning tanks, so I bought an urchin that I wouldnt have to worry about when cleaning my tank at home.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Thanks for all the input. I don't want an animal that is going to graze on coraline algae. I'll have to find something else to add. I don't have too many options to fish I can add. I've been thinking about chromis too.

What about a Long Tentacle Anemone? My LFS keeps the anemones in a tank with regular floursent. Would I get the same results?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'm quite a big fan of urchins - they eat a lot of algae, and generally are quite careful moving around. The Diadema pincushions do get terribly big, though, and just have too much diamter for a standard 55.
I really like Mespilia tuxedo urchins a lot, they get thro a lot of algae, and aren't too fussy about what type either. I've never seen them on my desirable inverts. they don't get too big, and I'd recommend them.
I also like Tripneustes pincushions, and I also have a rock boring urchin - these are good as they will remove hairlage holdfasts, and I'm not too worried about losing a bit of coralline here and there.

I know people are a bit shy of urchins, but I prefer them to hordes of snails, and pesky hermits. Hermits are far less reefsafe i.m.o. The only hassles with the small urchins are acclimating them right, and aking very sure you DON'T GET SPIKED.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Joe, long tentacled anemones seldom survive long term neither do sebae anemones. They get very large and require high light and pristine water quality. If and I repeat IF you are looking into an anemone look at a bubble tip. They are probably the easiest of the hard to keep.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I had one and between him and my lighting issue when I broke my foot I lost all of my coraline. Im just now starting to get it back. Honestly I will never own an urchin again. Yes they are neat but IMO you cant produce enough coraline to feed them and keep the tank looking nice. I wouldnt get it.