What do YOU do with your fry?

Sinsarity

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
I mean once they are old enough to be separated?

I want to try and breed (only once, to have fun) but I don't know what to do with the fry.

So what do YOU do with them? Thanks!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Sinsarity. Its not that much fun. You will likely be faced with having to kill some off (feeder fish, defects, etc) and a lot of natural deaths.

Bettas can produce 400 offspring in a single mating. Also, it will take 6-8 months of cleaning 80 to 150 jars every week before you can sell them or give them up to stores.

Anyhow, it that does not discourage you, and you can face the reality of having to put them all to death if they end-up with deformities, then do a lot of research, save your money (about $300 in tanks and supplies), and go to it!

FYI, I am going to breed my first set of bettas in 3 weeks. I have been researching it for 4 months, visited a local breeder, and been conditioning 2 pairs for the past month.

To answer your direct question, I am going to sell them mostly, and I started a list of pre-orders already. Some I may be able to trade for store credit at some of my LFS, but mostly I plan on selling as much as I can directly to people.

Remember, plan ahead!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you're doing it for fun just try to grow out 10 or 20 and give them to a store. Don't expect to make money, just do it for interest.

Mar 11, 2003
I wouldn't even think about breeding until you have researched on bettas so much that you can answer any problem headed your way. What if your male beats up the female? DO you let them duke it out? Or take her out? What if they ignore each other completely? What if the fry aren't free swimming on day 3? What does free swimming mean? some good sites to research breeding bettas are:

bettatalk.com
bettasrus.com
bettastarz.com
thebettabubble.com
topbettas.com

And many others. Don't just dive right into this, it HAS to be done correctly or you will flop when you try to breed your bettas.

Alexa

Sinsarity

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I have been researching this and I also don't plan on doing this for atleast a month. (need to save up the money :) ) Anyway, what I was thinking of doing with some of the fry is feeding them to my turtles since I know that way they are less likely to be diseased and live food is best for them at this point. But I would like to grow out about 20-30 of them to keep. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
what kind of fry are we talking about? Our turtle is very fussy and won't always eat live fish (thats why i have so many goldfish lol).

We are going to bring our babies to the lfs and sell/give most away locally...

I hope your not thinking of breeding bettas and then feeding them to the turtle ....