What do you guys think?

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
Hello everyone :) hope u all are doing well

So i finally got back from the Bahamas today and the first thing i did (of course) was to check if my tank was done cycling.

FINALLY MY AMMONIA went down to 0 so im very happy

PH: 7.6
AMMONIA: 0ppm
Nitrite: 2.0ppm
Nitrate: 4.0ppm

I noticed that the nitrite is really high tho, is that normal? Or will it go down eventually? (Ive read here in the forum that it supposed to be 0)

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
I currently have no fish in it btw, ( im doing the fishless cycle) do i need to do water changes to lower it or should i just let it go down on its own?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You could give a small dose of ammonia, maybe bring it up to 1-2ppm and see how the tank responds in converting it.

Usually your nitrites go through the roof high, like off the API chart, but your tank hasn't seen any ammonia given you were away.

Having been down this road before (w/out access to used gravel / bio media), what I would do in your case is a huge water change to get your parameters to 0,0,X ( X = probably zero at this point too) and add a few fish. Let them continue a more controlled cycle for you now that you've got it started. Of course this will require regular water parameter testing and the resources on hand for immediate action if required.