what do you prefer.....

ok i bought some barbs for my 20g yesterday afternoon.i have 2 tiger barbs
and i think the other few are goled tiger barbs or albino tiger barbs.i like there coloring but i dont want an entire tank of orange fish.i want some darker fish in there.i was thinking maybe some oddesa barbs.( i dont know about them yet)or maybe some otocinclus catfish.is anyone else picky with the coloring of there fish.im very picky.i need to mix things up a bit.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I prefer to mix it up too, although it really depends on the situation... If I had a 10-20gal tank and I wanted a school of this that or the other, I would probably just go with one type and maybe some kuhlis or something for the bottom and contrast the fish with the gravel/decor (IE: Black sand with neons or albino anythings or light colored gravel with darker fish).

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I believe trinidad plecos get massive, even bigger than common plecos (not sure about this). In a 20, you need to find a smaller, dwarf pleco. A few otos or a snail also work for aglae control.

What color gravel do you have? I have some black kuhli loaches that I really enjoy, they're more active and less hidey than the striped ones. They don't eat algae, but they're good for scavenging the bottom and keeping it clean, plus they're just plain neat.

Some cherry barbs would add some red to the tank, and they do fine with tiger barbs. Green tiger barbs will also work, and they'll school with the other tigers.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
According to liveaquaria the Trinidads get up to 11", definitly not suitable for a 20gal, but they sure are pretty! :)

Otos are awesome little critters, I love mine, he is the most fun fish in my tank I think. I would think a couple otos and a couple kuhlis (as suggested) would be a nice addition to your tank. If you are looking for more active or more free swimming fish to add some different colors, I would go for green tigers, Harlequin Rasboras, black neons, or maybe some different colored platties.