What do you think...

I have been going down to the beach at low tide to look around at the tide pools and collect snails lately. Well today I ventured onto the layers of mussels which go further out into the water and found thousands upon thousands of nassarius snails everywhere. I was wondering if it would be worth it to collect them and sell them on eBay/aquabid? Anyone else ever try this? I have in the past quarantined them and put them in my tank where they survive fine and constantly dig in my sandbed. I let teh water they are in go to room temperature for a few days and then slowly raise it with a heater I have. I also get hermit crabs this way, none of which have caused me any problems so far (they mess with each other in the small quarantine tank though...)

I'm just wondering if this could be profitable for me. I could easily collect a few hundred a day just by spending an hour there during lowtide. What do you think?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
besides, the nassarius snails you are seeing are NOT the type you want in your tank. These ones which are often for sale on ebay are actually a pest and there are articles alla bout them all over the web.....not a good plan

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I have no idea what kind of crabs they are. I just wanted to throw in my two cents here on what you are doing. It is pretty irresponsible to be taking things out of the ocean (even if they can survive). Someone before mentioned the legal issues, but beyond that are the ethical issues at hand here. You are effectively degrading the natural environment with no knowledge of the sustainability of that ecosystem without those creatures. Granted, things will probably be just fine...but what if those animals are, in fact, critical to that area? Beyond that, taking those animals from a non-tropical environment and putting them into your tropical environment is inevitably detrimental to their health and longevity simply because of their metabolism. I recognize that we, as hobbyists, are always impacting the ecosystem in one way or another, but a responsible hobbyist also only houses animals which he or she is prepared to support in the long term in an environment that suits those animals needs.

I am stepping off my soapbox now. Please don't feel like this is a personal attack; believe me when I say that I have made (and will continue to make) a number of mistakes in this hobby, but I always try to keep this ideas in mind as I pursue my passion.

Well since there are literally millions snails in the one little area I frequent at low tide... I think I'm good there. And since I have seen thousands of crabs in the same area... I'm good there also. There are very few endangered species where I live, just a few birds in the woods and the occasional tortoise, but they usually wash up dead anyway. Hell, there isn't even a license to fish in the ocean where I live!

I guess I should have said earlier that I am extremely familiar with DEC regs in NY, as I have been hunting and fishing my entire life. The only issue would be clamming, and even that would only require a permit if you are doing it commerically.

What wouldn't you be able to take from the beach anyway? I've never even heard of that, other than size restrictions on a few fish species. We've been keeping hermit crabs since I was a kid here.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
In addition to the above, if you do decide to take critters from local waters, make sure you quarantine them well. You could easily introduce pathogens or other undesirables into your tank.

Obviously, once anything has been in your tank, don't put it back into local waters.