What else do I need for my new aquarium?

Oct 8, 2006
This is what I have so far:

1 male betta, Marineland Eclipse 5 Gallon Hex , Heater, Gravel, Plants, Décor, Basic medications, Gravel Vacuum, Test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, Net, Dechlorinator, Filter Cartridges, food

Do I really need Air stones and Air pump for a betta? The top of this tank is covered, can my betta get some air still? What are something I still need to get?

Can betta gets lonely or they would rather having a 5 gallon tank for themselves?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Just real quick... in your other thread you said you put the betta into the 5g before it was done cycling. What were you doing to cycle the tank?

You don't need an airstone, the finter will move the water around just fine.

A betta will be fine by himself in a 5g. I kept a pair of ottos in a 3g with a betta, and I 'spect you would be able to do that in your 5g without a problem.

~JW

Oct 8, 2006
I really don’t know how I am going to cycle the tank now. The pet store lady suggests I should do a 100% change so I dumped all the water from the 1 gallon tank. Now the fish can’t really go back. I’m trying to look for a product called Bio-Spira. It supposes to make the water safer.

Oct 8, 2006
Yes I do, but there isn’t much that I can do right now besides buying whatever products people recommended to make the tank a safer place for my betta. At least I cared and seek for help. Any suggestion for my betta at this time would be appreciated.

Oct 8, 2006
Just a thought: Will it work if I take my betta back to the one gallon tank (fresh new treated water) and change the water so many times a week while cycling the 5 gallon tank. Can changing the water too many time stress my fish?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
It's not about being "safer"

Really there are no chemicals you can add to your tank that will speed things up.

The bacteria that gets rid of the fish waste won't grow unless they have food. So a tank without fish in it won't cycle at all (unless you add ammonia yourself). Now that you have a fish in the tank, he's producing ammonia, and the bacteria colonies are growing to eat that ammonia. Once those colonies are big enough to eat all the ammonia your fish produces, your tank will be cycled.

Bio-spira is really the only additive that has been proven to decrease the length of the cycle, but it's very expensive, and if it hasn't been kept refrigerated, it's no good.

Oct 8, 2006
Well, I followed the instruction from aquariumcorner.com. It said to add fish food twice a day to the fishless tank and make a 20% water changes once a week. Do all that in 4-8 weeks for the cycle. Would it work if I use that method for my 5 gallon and keep my betta in a 1 gallon tank (change water more often).

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
That would work, but it would be much faster to add ammonia directly, that way you don't have to wait for the fish food to break down into ammonia.

Check out the "fishless cycle" instructions in the beginner stickies.

But frankly, at this point, I would just keep the betta in the 5g and keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below 2ppm with water changes until they go away completely.