What filter media to use?

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I have finally ordered all my tank supplies now that my tank stand is done and sand has been washed. The question I have now is, what types of filter media are suggested? I have a 75g Fresh Water tank and will be using an XP3Canister and an Emperor 400. From what I have read, carbon isn't that greatest to have as filter media unless you are trying to clear the water of some medication or other substance.

What does everyone else use and find works well for these two types of filters?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Whatever you want to use ;) Literally they all make different sorts of filter media. If you walk into my petsmart there's like a whole wall, each brand makes their own version of the same things. I would just stay away from any that say they detoxify ammonia or nitrates or do anything magical...just stick with plain ol stuff. I think in mine I have several baskets of ceramic cylinders made by proaquatics, some old sponge filter media, some normal aquarium gravel...then the sponges that were made for the filter.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
The reason I ask is because I have never had a tank before and haven't dealt with filters. I don't know what works, and what doesn't. If some keep the water more clean and filter it better than others. Stuff like that.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
As long as you have enough media in there to support a good colony of bacteria i.e.fill your trays right up.,and you have a good enough flow rate you'll be OK.I use the ceramic rings and they do a good job.Some filter wool would be a good addition as it really polishes the water and makes it crystal clear.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Hey Mainer... I use Black Diamond Blend. It's much cheaper than the straight Black Diamond carbon-only they sell.

Hey Froggy.. why is it bad to use ammonia-fighting crystals? And does the blend I mentioned above qualify?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
its not "bad" persay....but expensive and unneccessary. When your tank is cycled and you have a good bacteria colony going, do regular tank maintenance and dont overstock a healthy tank has no problems with ammonia or nitrates. Thus, buying a product to reduce them makes no sense. Not to mention some of them will give false positives on test kits and I figure I have enough time invested trying to figure out what everything means, why bother making things more complicated for myself. NOT to mention I'd much rather have that $$ to spend on stocking the tank.

I have no idea on the blend you're talking about. Like I said, my filter media is pretty straightup. If I need carbon I throw a bag of carbon in there, otherwise its just plain ol round ceramic cylinders, some gravel, some filter floss and the sponge that was in the filter to begin with. The ceramic pieces are porus and have many surfaces for bacteria to colonize on.