what fish - coral to get next.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
hi all. im stepping down in my tank stocking. stepping down from hardy fish/coral to sensitive fish/coral. so i can monitor the progress and if a fish/coral dies i can work out what went wrong.

so far i have

3 Green Chromis
1 rubber lip tang
1 sea cucumber

1 mushroom leather coral.
1 finger coral.

all are doing well.

what do you guys suggest i get next.

1 more coral and a couple of fish.

you can see my tank and fish from the link in my sig.

cheers aron.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well under that lighting( I am assuming its just florescents?) you wont be able to keep anything but softies. Maybe buy a mushroom rock, you can see them in both my and camaros pic threads(new digital camera and picture time(dialup be very afraid). as far as fish what interests you? Maybe a dwarf angel? or a basslet or psuedochromis. i dunno it really is up to you and what you like

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
im curious, what is the scientific name for rubber lip tang? that must be an Australian common name

like aresgod said your lights aren't going to be able to grow anythingnew other than mushrooms (or morphs as one of our former aussie members called them)

or zoanthids

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
i only want soft coral and a couple of anemonies. i will be getting alternative lighting soon.

when you say soft corel it means all soft coral or soft as in they tollerent. iv always asumed soft coral are as per there name "soft - sqishy - will wave around in the current"

here is (a bad) pic of my tang .

cheers aron

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
So what's that - Ctaenochaetus binotatum? Could be?

Anyway, without wanting to seem a killjoy I would hesitate to buy very much as this is such a new setup, but a dottyback or wrasse would make sense. I would give anything marked up as hard a miss till you have some more combat experience.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
soft corals refer to those without a hard calcium carbonate skeletal structure...some wave some do not

as far as the anemones: i would not go that route because a) you don't have nearly enough light and b) they require pristine water and nearly perfect conditions...something unlikely in a relatively new tank

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
thanks camaro. i was accually not thinking of anemonies yet. i relise they require more light. im trying to save some money up to build a haligen/MH light unit. to provide my tank with more light.

cheers aron.